There Must Be 15 Ways To Lose Your Cursors… Part 2: Just Put It in a S

• I do truly want and hope to. After my hospitalization in April and May, I did finally get caught up in my work by the end of June. Then I was on vacation for a week, then a close family member passed away and I happen to be the executor of his estate. The last one is still on-going, but I am really going to try to get the next one out in August.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Total noob here. Love this series, can't wait for 3rd installment.

I found some code in an article today, author said "The easiest way I've found to do this is run through a cursor. Sounds painful, but you will only have to do it once..."

What he's referring to is adding a UTCOffset column to a Calendar table, then populating that column only.

CREATE TABLE dbo.Calendar

(

dt SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED,

isWeekday BIT,

isHoliday BIT,

Y SMALLINT,

FY SMALLINT,

Q TINYINT,

M TINYINT,

D TINYINT,

DW TINYINT,

monthname VARCHAR(9),

dayname VARCHAR(9),

W TINYINT,

)

GO

Add a few years of dates dates...

INSERT Calendar(dt)

SELECT DATEADD(DAY, Number, '20000101')

FROM #Numbers

WHERE Number <= 10957

ORDER BY Number

GO

Populate the table...

UPDATE dbo.Calendar SET

isWeekday = CASE

WHEN DATEPART(DW, dt) IN (1,7)

THEN 0

ELSE 1 END,

isHoliday = 0,

Y = YEAR(dt),

FY = YEAR(dt),

/*

-- if our fiscal year

-- starts on May 1st:

FY = CASE

WHEN MONTH(dt) < 5

THEN YEAR(dt)-1

ELSE YEAR(dt) END,

*/

Q = CASE

WHEN MONTH(dt) <= 3 THEN 1

WHEN MONTH(dt) <= 6 THEN 2

WHEN MONTH(dt) <= 9 THEN 3

ELSE 4 END,

M = MONTH(dt),

D = DAY(dt),

DW = DATEPART(DW, dt),

monthname = DATENAME(MONTH, dt),

dayname = DATENAME(DW, dt),

W = DATEPART(WK, dt)

GO

Add the column...

ALTER TABLE dbo.Calendar ADD UTCOffset TINYINT NULL

GO

Use Cursor to populate UTCOffset column...

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @dt SMALLDATETIME

DECLARE @offset TINYINT

SET @offset = 5

DECLARE c CURSOR

LOCAL STATIC READ_ONLY FOR

SELECT dt FROM dbo.Calendar ORDER BY dt

OPEN c

FETCH NEXT FROM c INTO @dt

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

IF DATENAME(dw, @dt)='Sunday'

AND DATEPART(DAY, @dt) <= 7

AND DATENAME(MONTH, @dt) = 'April'

SET @offset = 4

IF DATENAME(dw, @dt)='Sunday'

AND DATEPART(DAY, @dt) >= 25

AND DATENAME(MONTH, @dt) = 'October'

SET @offset = 5

UPDATE dbo.Calendar SET UTCOffset = @offset WHERE dt = @dt

FETCH NEXT FROM c INTO @dt

END

CLOSE c

DEALLOCATE c

GO

So I took a stab at converting it...

DECLARE @offset TINYINT

SELECT @offset = 5

UPDATE dbo.Calendar SET

isWeekday = CASE

WHEN DATEPART(DW, dt) IN (1,7)

THEN 0

ELSE 1 END,

isHoliday = 0,

Y = YEAR(dt),

FY = YEAR(dt),

/*

-- if our fiscal year

-- starts on May 1st:

FY = CASE

WHEN MONTH(dt) < 5

THEN YEAR(dt)-1

ELSE YEAR(dt) END,

*/

Q = CASE

WHEN MONTH(dt) <= 3 THEN 1

WHEN MONTH(dt) <= 6 THEN 2

WHEN MONTH(dt) <= 9 THEN 3

ELSE 4 END,

M = MONTH(dt),

D = DAY(dt),

DW = DATEPART(DW, dt),

monthname = DATENAME(MONTH, dt),

dayname = DATENAME(DW, dt),

W = DATEPART(WK, dt),

@offset = UTCOffset = CASE WHEN DATENAME(dw, dt)='Sunday'

THEN CASE WHEN DATEPART(DAY, dt) <= 7 THEN CASE WHEN DATENAME(MONTH, dt) = 'April'

THEN 4

ELSE @offset END

--WHEN DATENAME(dw, dt)='Sunday'

WHEN DATEPART(DAY, dt) >= 25

THEN CASE WHEN DATENAME(MONTH, dt) = 'October'

THEN 5

ELSE @offset END

ELSE @offset END

ELSE @offset END

GO

Forgive me if the code formatting is bad (remember, I said NOOB here!)

Any alternatives anyone?

Thanks Barry, GWS.

Edit: Note that the dates when the clocks change have since changed.

• Looks good, Ron. Though I cannot test it right now to be certain, this is basically the approach that I would take.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Hey Ron,

It's even easier if you have SQL 2008 -- the DateTimeOffset data type holds date/time and offset information together. The only thing I would mention about your script is it appears to adjust the UTC offset for daylight savings time. The UTC offset is actually a constant, so it won't change. For instance, New York City is always UTC offset -5. Normally a DST adjustment is stored separately from the UTC offset, so you would add two columns to your table -- UTC_Offset and DST_Adjustment (would always be 0 or 1 depending on time of year and local DST laws).

Thanks

Mike C

• How does the idea that you can always replace a cursor with something else, fit in with your Connect suggestion, https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/440375?

• john.moreno (5/10/2010)

How does the idea that you can always replace a cursor with something else, fit in with your Connect suggestion, https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/440375?

Maybe it's just me but it seems obvious... it's a permanent replacement for cursors instead of having to do things like XML concatenation or use undocumented heavy cursor hacks like sp_MSForEachTable.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (5/11/2010)

john.moreno (5/10/2010)

How does the idea that you can always replace a cursor with something else, fit in with your Connect suggestion, https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/440375?

Maybe it's just me but it seems obvious... it's a permanent replacement for cursors instead of having to do things like XML concatenation or use undocumented heavy cursor hacks like sp_MSForEachTable.

Yeah, but...it seemed to me that the point of this series of articles was that you could get away from a cursor NOW, not if they introduced something else that was better (and that is definitely a better design).

Which may be the answer...he's attacking the problem on multiple fronts.

• john.moreno (5/11/2010)

Yeah, but...it seemed to me that the point of this series of articles was that you could get away from a cursor NOW, not if they introduced something else that was better (and that is definitely a better design).

Yes, that is the point, and yes, you certainly can get rid of them now. However it would be nice to have a simpler way of getting rid of them in some cases. Personally I would prefer to see MAP and REDUCE added to SQL because I think that way up, but generalising how a result set (or cte or whatever) can be used is another valid way of doing it.

Which may be the answer...he's attacking the problem on multiple fronts.

Yes, at least two fronts: (1) educate the users about how awful cursors are and (2) change the language to make it even easier than it is now to avoid them.

Tom

• Yep, Jeff & Tom got it right. My Connect suggestion would be a huge leap forward for cursor-less SQL, but almost everything that I requested can be done in SQL Server now. For an example, see my recently submitted OVER_SET procedure[/url].

However, my EXECUTE .. FROM command would be able to do it much better. 🙂

[/font]

• Hey Barry

I'm going to play around with your code tomorrow -- looks cool. It almost sounds like you're describing a cross apply type operation for stored procs. That could come in very handy, especially for admin tasks (although I can imagine the ways people would find to abuse it :))

Thanks!

Mike C

• Thanks Mike, let us know how it goes ... 😎

[/font]

• When do you think part 3 will be ready?

• What a fantastic article! I'm really looking forward to Part 3. This is something I have been banging on about for years and I think people just consider me insane. Its nice to know there are others out there who share my view.

My philosophy is "cursors are the devil" and the best response I have heard to that is "cursors maybe the devil but without evil what use is good". That was from an Oracle programmer who loves his loops and cursors 🙂 I even had his response put on a T-Shirt for him!

I have also blogged on this subject if anyone is interested. You can find my post here.

• Great article and it surely points the way for more efficient statements.

I'm eagerly anticipating the next series of this article for more complicated scenarios where cursors can be replaced.

I'm somewhat novice but would be keen for pointers on how I can eliminate cursors in the following scenario where I have a table:

Column1 Column2

1 A

1 B

1 C

2 A

2 D

and I want to get a string like "A,B,C" when I search for 1, or "A,D" for 2 etc.

• I hope part three will have better examples,

the examples up until now are too obvious.

I have used cursors my self in much more complex situations and i would love to see methods of converting them to usual sql code.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 316 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply