There is insufficient system memory in resource pool 'internal' to run this query.

• I'm getting the above error. We have a SQL 2008 server that has 3 databases on it.

1. IM (Compatibility Level 90; Size (MB) 387420)

2. NI (Compatibility Level 90; Size (MB) 5804)

3. SI (Compatibility Level 90; Size (MB) 4437)

We have a group of consultants hitting this server and after a period of querying, begin receiving the resource error. I have done some searching on Google, but haven't found anything very conclusive to assist in troubleshooting/fixing this issue.

This is being hit by less than 20 people. Seemingly, none of the tables have indexing applied.

Any help would be appreciated!

• If you are sure that NO index exists anywhere then a full round of tuning is in order.

There's just no way to do this over forums.

Anyway you can get approval for a remote consult via RDP/VPN?

I can do a quick health check and prevent many problems as well as fixing this one.

• Sounds like some seriously large queries and/or some processing occurring within queries that is excessively large. Based on what you've provided, it's hard to say what. I'd suggest setting up extended events to monitor the execution of queries on the system. Until you get that done, you can look at what's in cache using sys.dm_exec_query_stats to get some idea of what long running queries you have.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• checkai (11/18/2011)

Seemingly, none of the tables have indexing applied.

Well, there's your problem. Got anyone that knows anything about tuning? Maybe start here:

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply