There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated -2017

• Hi

Please Assist. I am trying to install SQL SERVER CU 22 on SQL server 2017. Currently installed CU 20. I am getting this error message: 'There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer'

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  EasyBoy.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • You missed putting a checkmark in the error.jpg.  Select "MSSQLSERVER" and it should install the update for you.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Option is greyed out and i can't select MSSQLSERVER.

• Was just reading the error message and it sounds like the installer thinks that you are trying to install the wrong CU.

I would try re-downloading CU 22 and see if it might be a bad download or a bad link for the update?

The error is saying that your version is newer than what the CU is expecting.

Alternately, you could try installing CU 21 first.  You shouldn't need to, but it may be a bug in the CU 22 installer that it doesn't like installing on top of CU 20?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I would re-download as well, and double check the instance level.

• If you try to install the latest CU or security patch, we can get the following error "there-are-no-sql-server-instances-or-shared-features-that-can-be-updated".

To overcome this situation, try and install the latest SP that is above your installed file version of SQL server.  Probably someone installed this version for a component of SQL server but not all the components.  Once the latest SP is installed for all the SQL server components, then you can install the latest CU or security patch.

Hope this solves all your problems.

• We have contacted Microsoft and after working with them for 3 months, issue resolved.

Cause

We found that there is an instance mapping for Report Server that maps default instance name (MSSQLSERVER) to SSRS instance ID:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\RS

MSSQLSERVER    REG_SZ    SSRS

This causes the SQL setup to fail to patch the default instance.

Resolution

Deleting the 'MSSQLSERVER    REG_SZ    SSRS' registry key at 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\RS' allows SQL setup to successfully patch the default instance. Upon further investigation, we were unable to identify how this registry key was created on the customer's system but also confirmed that no Microsoft product installed/configured this registry key.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply