The Traveling Data Professional

• My plans aren't enviable. Basically, due to where I live, working in the private sector and our oldest being on the Autism spectrum, our choices as to what to do and where to go on vacation are extremely limited. For years my vacation has been not going to work. Some day, I'd like to actually go somewhere with my family or at least with my wife.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I recently coupled a personal trip with the Data Insights conference. I started out on Whidbey Island, where most of my family lives, and had a beautiful stay at the Blue Goose Inn (where I used to work as a teen ~ how life comes full circle). By the end of the 10 days I had meandered through and over to the east side of the mountains stopping at my sister's new farm house project, through Spokane to Ceour d'Alene, Idaho flying back to Michigan out of Missoula, Montana.  A memorable trip for sure, but wish I had a week at each destination.  My most favorite parts of the trip were visiting my dad's grave that overlooks the Puget Sound, dinner at the Space Needle, meeting all kinds of brilliant individuals at the conference, a stay at the River Run Inn in Leavenworth (where the stars seemed almost within reach), then ending my trip at a secluded cabin over looking Lake Ceour d'Alene.  All kinds of wild life, beautiful sunsets, and peace and quiet. The work that we do is really complex, all of us need to take the time to clear our minds for our own well-being.

• Rod at work - Friday, June 23, 2017 3:20 PM

My plans aren't enviable. Basically, due to where I live, working in the private sector and our oldest being on the Autism spectrum, our choices as to what to do and where to go on vacation are extremely limited. For years my vacation has been not going to work. Some day, I'd like to actually go somewhere with my family or at least with my wife.

I've heard that some kids with autism actually like the beach, but maybe not so much the trip there and back.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Two weeks in sunny Florida. It will be our 3rd trip in a row. Maybe a bit boring for some, but our 5 year old loves it. So do his parents for that matter. We had a trip to Devon in May and we will have the odd day trip to the coast, London etc during school holidays.

• Neil Burton - Friday, June 23, 2017 3:33 AM

I've got some walking trips lined up for next month. I'm planning to climb Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis over three weekends.

Ben Nevis is neat. My wife and I went halfway up to the lake last Sept. We started at 3:30, so not enough time for us to get to the top, but beautiful up there.

• jasona.work - Friday, June 23, 2017 5:58 AM

Nothing really exciting planned this summer for the wife and I.  We're debating about going up north camping in August (Traverse City / Mackinac City area,) if we do we'd take our bikes along and go across to Mackinac Island for a day (mmm, fudge...)

Labor Day weekend we're currently planning to go across the border into Toronto for FanExpo, she's geeked about getting Stephen Amell's (Green Arrow from CWs Arrow) autograph on her recurve bow.  Me, I'll enjoy sitting in and listening to some of the panel discussions (last year, SteamPunk Cosplay and 3D Printing) and browsing the artist' alley.

We don't have kids, so planning trips is a lot easier.

I went to Traverse City and skied in the winter. A neat place. Would like to go back one summer.

• A family camping trip to the Washington coast in mid-July after our oldest kid is back home from AmeriCorps.  Our youngest will be attending a dramatic arts conservatory in NYC, so we'll fly with her in August to settle her in and poke around the city for a few days (I've never been).

Greg

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, June 26, 2017 11:56 AM

Neil Burton - Friday, June 23, 2017 3:33 AM

I've got some walking trips lined up for next month. I'm planning to climb Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis over three weekends.

Ben Nevis is neat. My wife and I went halfway up to the lake last Sept. We started at 3:30, so not enough time for us to get to the top, but beautiful up there.

I made an attempt with a friend a few years back but we waaaayy over-packed, smoked too much and were generally unprepared so we decided to turn back before the weather closed in.  I wanted to get it done before I turned 40 so I put the call out to my colleagues to see if anybody wanted to join me and a few of them did.  The other two I'm just doing for badness because my wife's away with work for the next couple of weekends and climbing mountains is better than sitting around the house watching Lord of the Rings again ๐Ÿ™‚

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Off to do a meditation course in Spain - keeps me sane!

• Neil Burton - Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:06 AM

I made an attempt with a friend a few years back but we waaaayy over-packed, smoked too much and were generally unprepared so we decided to turn back before the weather closed in.  I wanted to get it done before I turned 40 so I put the call out to my colleagues to see if anybody wanted to join me and a few of them did.  The other two I'm just doing for badness because my wife's away with work for the next couple of weekends and climbing mountains is better than sitting around the house watching Lord of the Rings again ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck. I'll go back someday and get up there. We started too late and were worried about coming down the rocks in the dark. a few brave souls with lights were still going after us.

• Dont really need to go far this summer !......all this within 5 mins
    ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

• Very nice. The beach is always a great place to go.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:02 AM

Neil Burton - Tuesday, June 27, 2017 1:06 AM

Best of luck. I'll go back someday and get up there. We started too late and were worried about coming down the rocks in the dark. a few brave souls with lights were still going after us.

We had a few folk run past us on our way down and they weren't long behind us in reaching the bottom.  That was very disheartening!

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Are those pics from Cornwall?

• I'm so jealous of the Vancouver Island plans!

I don't have anything booked for this summer but I'm planning to go to Cape Town in December. Would be nice to get another trip in before then, but it's getting the time off.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply