The Training Value

• It's a battle between personal costs and benefits

• I pretty much stumbled into the role of DBA because I could turn on a computer. I have had a lot of training, one week at a time, and find it to be the most valuable time I could have spent. I buy every book I can find that will be good reference material but I still believe that the training in a classroom has been the most valuable. One thing I try to do before I take a class is to become as familiar with the subject of the class as possible. I find I retain the knowledge learned longer if I already have at the very least a good basic understanding of the material to be covered in the class.

• I'm an "accidental" DBS as Steve calls us, also network admin, help desk, etc. and I work for a non-profit so training budget is smaller (1K for two of us). Most of my training is online forums and books. I've also taken some college courses out of my pocket. I believe that learning has to be lifelong if you want to stay useful in the workplace. Currently studying for SQL 2005 certification as my boss says I need to learn more SQL.

• My previous employer, a school district, required all personnel to have 40+ hours of training each year. They counted trade shows and conferences so I could easily have made those hours that way. When I talked with my boss about the training, I told her that those dates simply are not guaranteed to come each year and the only way to guarantee I get my hours is for her to budget to pay for classroom training. She actually budgeted for two full weeks each year, which I thought was wonderful. That was in addition to the conferences and trade shows so I easily met my annual requirement.

My current employer does recognize the need for training and, after only being here for two months, sent me to a vendor conference for some rather intense training on the product we run here. They also indicated continuing training with one of the local training centers, so I think I'll be able to keep up.

Personally, I would never go to a company that did not budget for training. It is foolish to believe you can hire a "smart" person and think everything will be OK without continuing training. Our field changes far too rapidly to think we can sit on the sidelines and keep up. In fact, I turned down an offer for another company when looking for this job, simply for that reason.

• Here, they pay tuition reimbursement up to $2500 a year, and if you attend conferences/training they're technically supposed to subtract those costs from your specific tuition reimbursement (total dept budgets are $2500/FTE for education) although not all managers are aware of that, so you can get away with more if you need to, using up the cushion from other FTE's budgets.

Either way, it's more about time than money, I think. I just try to pick up as much as I can from sites such as this during work hours (looking up related information to job tasks, of course 😉 ). Someone mentioned taking college courses on the side, for those interested in that, check out http://www.ocwconsortium.org/ for free college courses from some really great universities.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I get zero. Zero time, zero money. If I were to go to PASS, for example, I'd have to pay my own way and take it out of my vacation time. So I do all my training myself, but it has to be free or close to it (heck, with my current financials, I can barely afford free!).

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• My current employer would pay for training as needed if I can show a need for the project(s) I am working on. I value training highly and that is one of the first questions I ask in an interview. If the answer is do it on your own, I don't want to work there. My ideal would be for my employer to provide for 1-2 weeks training per year, a major conference every 2 years, a subscription to a professional magazine/journal like SQL Server Magazine, and a $100-150 /year for books. That probably adds up to between 4000 and 7000 a year. In reality I'd be happy with the Mag, books, and 1 week of training/conferences. I also think an employer should expect you to use that training to train your co-workers as well.

Having a consultant in for a specific project is probably the best way to spend your money, as has been mentioned, a week long class many times does not provide what you expect, even from good trainers.

No one has mentioned User Groups, Code Camps, SQLSaturdays, where you get FREE training and access to experts! I have enjoyed all 3 and have learned a lot. I am currently using SQLCE for a personal desktop application because of a USer Group meeting and have gotten plenty of FREE consulting via phone and email from guys I have met at these events. Sure it is on my time, but you can't beat the price and it has been as good or better than some training I have attended.

• My fellow DBA and I are sharing a three-pak of classes this year - cost apprx. $6,000 for the two of us. Next year we hope to do the same as wells as have one of us attend a conference. It was the time off more than the money that was a concern with our manager.

• I've worked for smaller companies and they usually have little or no funds set aside for training. I would be happy with 2-3% and one or two weeks per year. I'm in a large city so have been able to take advantage of free training that comes by once in awhile, although the value is not as high as paid training.

• What is this "training" thing you speak of? I must have had a bad streak of companies. I'm almost entirely self-taught through books, work experience, and of course sites like this.

It seems to me like a salary of US$70k is more like what an entry level DBA would make, at least in the Twin Cities market. I've seen many local postings for DBA positions I'm not qualified for yet that can run a little over $100k. How does this number strike you?

David

• Yamachari (8/15/2008)

What is this "training" thing you speak of? I must have had a bad streak of companies. I'm almost entirely self-taught through books, work experience, and of course sites like this.

It seems to me like a salary of US$70k is more like what an entry level DBA would make, at least in the Twin Cities market. I've seen many local postings for DBA positions I'm not qualified for yet that can run a little over $100k. How does this number strike you?

David

Too bad the weather sucks up there, I'd relocate. Salaries are definitely market driven and company size driven. In the Boston area 70k would be entry level, but go 3 hours north and 70K is a high paying job.

• I think that 5% plus two weeks is acceptable. However, as a manager, I prefer to see staff learning and educating in their own time as well. This proves that they want to learn, not just go through the motion. It also shows initiative, which is also initiative that they will try to put into practice in the workplace. It is the application of the education, which from the business standpoint, is the ultimate goal. From a career standpoint of the individual, it is this application that comes out in the next interview.

• No training last year. This year, maybe. I've been told I'm going to PASS and will be getting training in GIS systems, we'll see if it happens.

$70k? I wish! Unfortunately they think they pay well for the area, and they do, but it's not as inexpensive as they think to live here and they're competing nationally for talent: if I were free to travel, I could make a LOT more elsewhere.

And they wonder why certain key positions have gone unfilled for months?

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• bwild (8/15/2008)

I think that 5% plus two weeks is acceptable. However, as a manager, I prefer to see staff learning and educating in their own time as well. This proves that they want to learn, not just go through the motion. It also shows initiative, which is also initiative that they will try to put into practice in the workplace. It is the application of the education, which from the business standpoint, is the ultimate goal. From a career standpoint of the individual, it is this application that comes out in the next interview.

Educating on my own time? Sorry, I already give nearly 60 hours a week for my day job. People have to draw a line somewhere. If the training directly pertains to the job, the employer should be paying and allowing time off for the training. Just because I'm not willing to take away from my family does not indicate that I do not want to learn. While I did complete my master's degree on my own time, it was very hard on my family. I won't do that again.

• I work for a large multinational OEM. I've learned that if I ask, all they can say is 'no'. 😛 So I routinely ask for money to go to seminars, conventions, ect from my employer. More times then not I get told 'no'. Although, I think it sends the right message.

I invest time on my own, for certifications (MSTS and MCITP), because I think they add to my employability and I enjoy learning. (mostly the latter) I'm also working on A+(Networking/Security), which has been fun. I have HR enter the exams I pass into my personal record - which sends another good message...:D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply