The Top Ten Reasons to Attend the PASS Summit 2008

• GilaMonster (8/14/2008)

What my former manager did when he approved requests like that was to make it very clear that he expected a presentation to himself and other managers after the conference on what happened and what was learnt. If the person objected, they didn't go. If they couldn't explain afterwards what they had learnt, they never went again.

We're supposed to do trip reports for each day whenever we go to a conference. It's expected that our time there be used to bring back knowledge for the whole team's benefit. Since I had my laptop with me, I basically just did a running log each night before I went to bed. However, that tends to keep people honest.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• K. Brian Kelley (8/14/2008)

It's expected that our time there be used to bring back knowledge for the whole team's benefit. Since I had my laptop with me, I basically just did a running log each night before I went to bed. However, that tends to keep people honest.

Same here. I spend every friday afternoon for 6 months after PASS last year re-presenting sessions to the other people in my team. Not that most of them cared...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/14/2008)

If the guy wants it to be a party, then that's what it will be to him.

Indeed, but that also goes for a "regular" course.

How many times did one have to take a regular course because "it was urgent", did not get the info that was expected / needed and had to conclude it was just a wast of time and $.

I would suggest to first take a regular course, work a little with the suite, and then attend conferences like SQLPASS to get to the technical detail of information you need or seek.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I am a new in SQL Server DBA field, sometimes I posted some questions but I couldn't get feedback or I didn't go right place to check feedback. How can I check my feedback or nobody responsed my question?

Jchen

• jchen (8/25/2008)

I am a new in SQL Server DBA field, sometimes I posted some questions but I couldn't get feedback or I didn't go right place to check feedback. How can I check my feedback or nobody responsed my question?

Jchen

I'm sorry that you're not getting responses to your questions. You should make sure that you're posting in the appropriate forum, and only post once, even if it might apply to multiple areas. You can also check your Control Panel email options to make sure that your replies are going to the correct address. You should receive an email notification when someone posts a reply.

Sometimes you just need to flip a coin to choose the most appropriate forum. I had a DTS question and didn't notice that the DTS forum was under Data Warehousing: my installation doesn't do DW and my problem didn't relate to DW, so I minimized that forum and never saw it, so I posted it to General Questions.

There is also an excellent article by Jeff Moden on how to post a question using good forum etiquette to increase your chance of a good reply. You can read it http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ If no one understands your question, or if you don't provide sample code (including a sample table and the insert statements to populate it!) you're greatly reducing the chance that people will respond to your question.

But there's always a chance that no one has an answer for you, sometimes that's the breaks.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I got error 15065 for sql server 2000 when a new user registered from web application login, but they could not registered due to SID user login is full.

I did search error 15065, that is master syslogin table SID is full. how can I drop some of expired username to free some space?

Jchen

• Please post this as a new thread in the SQL Server 2000 administration forum.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply