The TOP 10 Count

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The TOP 10 Count

• Good question, had to pause for thought and do a bit of math!

• Good question. Thanks for sharing.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Of course, if you have more than 2^21 columns in your database, it will return an error ... 😀

• My first thought - 1 row and why the hell there's no such answer, and then

slow down, review carefully all available. 😎

Thanks Eirikur

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Very nice question Eirikur. It makes you stop and think...just for a moment.

• Was looking for the trick.

• Got it right, but only because I read the question too quickly and was looking for "1" as a possible answer, b/c I thought the question read "How many rows are returned?" When "1" wasn't in the list of possible answers, I figured I needed to actually read the question you wrote (vs. the one I thought you wrote)! 😀

If anyone was thinking "1000" for an answer, this will do that, b/c it first returns 10 from the CTE using TOP:

;WITH cte As

(

SELECT TOP (10) *

FROM sys.all_columns

)

SELECT COUNT_BIG(*)

FROM

cte cte1 CROSS JOIN

cte cte2 CROSS JOIN

cte cte3;

Rich

• Very useful question Eirikur, thank you. 🙂 There is also interesting that COUNT_BIG(*) is here a deterministic function,

because the TOP is not specified with an aggregate clause.

See eg.: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190317.aspx"> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190317.aspx

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (10/22/2015)

martin.whitton (10/22/2015)

Of course, if you have more than 2^21 columns in your database, it will return an error ... 😀

if one has that many columns, they will have even more serious problems....:hehe:

+1

Don Simpson

I'm not sure about Heisenberg.

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (10/22/2015)

martin.whitton (10/22/2015)

Of course, if you have more than 2^21 columns in your database, it will return an error ... 😀

if one has that many columns, they will have even more serious problems....:hehe:

It would take 67492 tables with 30000 sparse columns each to reach the limit of a bigint (2^63) - 1;-)

😎

• Two points to Michal L., and take away two from me for not considering which choice actually represented the "1" answer I was seeking :).

• As a thought you could have explained why use Count_Big rather than just Count and included a link.

But there again you could have used Count, and included another option; an error is returned, Possibly?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply