The T-SQL Paradigm

• Lynn Pettis (4/19/2009)

Okay, you don't grasp what I think is unprofessional regarding your posts. This is just one example of what I consider totally unprofessional:

I'm trying to grab you by the b_lls. Not kick you there

I am sure, if you'd like, I could find numerous other examples.

I'm asking you to entertain new ideas. Perhaps in a new style too. Go double or nothing. What do you really have to lose? 🙂

>Again, please start your own thread on your "product" and leave the discuss of said "product" there.

Yes, that will be done. I hope you bookmark it 🙂

best,

steve

www.beyondsql.blogspot.com

• Your generalization is condescending because people are in a SQL forum you have the need to educate these users with .NET. If you will reference an article written by the SQL and .NET impaired you are the one that needs understanding.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Lynn Pettis (4/17/2009)

And that is the "product" I was talking about. Personally, I heard more than enough about it. If anyone wants to learn more, all they have to do is go to your blog, and you have that right in your signature block.

Lynn, mate. Are we not just feeding the Troll here?

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

You know, after a SNOW DAY on Friday, it is actually quite nice here today in Colorado. So where are you that it is cold and wet?

Wellington, NZ

It was all sunny and nice last week and over the weekend, now look at it!

Paul

• Paul White (4/18/2009)

Hey everyone,

If you don't like what Steve's posting, just ignore it eh?

There's nothing more tedious than scrolling through pages of quoted-quoted-quoted-quotes with pointless snarky comments on the end.

Steve's product sounds fascinating, and I for one would love to hear more about it.

Oh bugger it. I smirked and gave the game away.

Paul

LMAO

SNARF!

Bet he misses the tone there, though

I'm a DBA.

• Gift Peddie (4/19/2009)

Your generalization is condescending because people are in a SQL forum you have the need to educate these users with .NET. If you will reference an article written by the SQL and .NET impaired you are the one that needs understanding.

I confess I don't understand you here.

>you are the one that needs understanding.

Yes, I agree.

best,

steve

• Here's an attempt to interest sql users in net:

'.NET Basics for the Database Developer: Take the Plunge'

http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/41440

I understand what you're saying but that was not my real point. A Point and click presentation is NOT a substitute for explanation, for understanding. Just as the code of a query is not a substitute for a succinct explanation. Too much of IT is content to let the user fill in the blanks. And then IT wonders why so many users shoot them

I confess I don't understand you here.

>you are the one that needs understanding.

Yes, I agree.

Will not be dignified with an answer.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• steve dassin (4/19/2009)

RBarryYoung (4/19/2009)

I'm trying to grab you by the b_lls. Not kick you there 🙂

Neither is generally appreciated from a stranger in a social environment

I'm a DBA.

• andrew gothard (4/19/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/17/2009)

And that is the "product" I was talking about. Personally, I heard more than enough about it. If anyone wants to learn more, all they have to do is go to your blog, and you have that right in your signature block.

I'll come down on the side of caution in commenting least I make an error in judgment that I'm talking to a shallow hal.

best,

steve

• steve dassin (4/19/2009)

andrew gothard (4/19/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/17/2009)

I'll come down on the side of caution in commenting least I make an error in judgment that I'm talking to a shallow hal.

best,

steve

Hal - unlike some I could mention, would at least pass the Turing test

I'm a DBA.

• Entertain new ideas? How quaint. I have been doing that for years, it's one of the reasons I am where I am today. You don't know me, or what I know. I am constantly learning something new, or applying my knowledge in new ways to solve everyday business problems.

I have looked at your "product" and I see nothing worthwhile with it. I uses what you condemn for a backend, adds another level of complexity to the development environment, and because it is using SQL Server for a backend you still need to know how to use it effectively to build anything worthwhile.

• andrew gothard (4/19/2009)

steve dassin (4/19/2009)

andrew gothard (4/19/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/17/2009)

best,

steve

Hal - unlike some I could mention, would at least pass the Turing test

I detest the word troll. A slang used to often to marginalize. It implies cheap. And there's nothing cheap in the ideas I'm trying to convey.

• Too bad you haven't been able to convey anything worthwhile. With the hyperbole and attacks on SQL Server, you aren't going to convince anyone of anything. This is a professional site, try approaching it from that direction.

Attacking that which we support only puts us on the defensive, if you haven't notice. Perhaps you should put some thought behind what you are attempting to do. Solid examples of how your "product" can help solve common business problems whould be one thing. Show us real world examples of your "product" actually being used in a real world environment solving these problems.

Perhaps a better avenue of approach would be a series of technical articles (minus any attacks on MS SQL Server) would be a start. But as I keep reminding you, MS SQL Server isn't the only SQL based RDBMS marketed today, but I have YET to even see you say ANYTHING negative about ANY of the other SQL based systems. Are they superior to MS SQL Server in some way? If so, I would suggest that you start targeting them for your "product".

Entertain new ideas? How quaint. I have been doing that for years, it's one of the reasons I am where I am today. You don't know me, or what I know. I am constantly learning something new, or applying my knowledge in new ways to solve everyday business problems.

I have looked at your "product" and I see nothing worthwhile with it. I uses what you condemn for a backend, adds another level of complexity to the development environment, and because it is using SQL Server for a backend you still need to know how to use it effectively to build anything worthwhile.

Res ipse loquitor

best,

steve

With the hyperbola and attacks on SQL Server

I apologise profusely in advance, but:

Hyperbola

[url= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole%5DHyperbole%5B/url%5D

My only excuse is that my English teacher was very strict, and it's stuck with me.

You hate me don't you? 😀

Paul

edit: broken links

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 266 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply