The subscription contains parameter values that are not valid

• Hi,

I've got an issue on SSRS where I have a daily subscription that works most of the time but sometimes the subscription fails with the message "The subscription contains parameter values that are not valid".  This is without any changes to the subscription and when you manually run it, it goes through successfully.  Checking the logs for the specific subscription, the only two records you see are the two below, the execution and the execution completed.

library!WindowsService_18!1b40!11/25/2023-05:00:08:: i INFO: Schedule 20fe61da-9ac9-46b7-809f-694f19f26638 executed at 11/25/2023 05:00:08.

library!WindowsService_18!1b40!11/25/2023-05:00:08:: i INFO: Schedule 20fe61da-9ac9-46b7-809f-694f19f26638 execution completed at 11/25/2023 05:00:08.

Is there anything else I can check on this?  This is on version 15.0.1102.675.

Thanks

• Just to confirm, the logs you reviewed are: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS12.SQL2014\Reporting Services\LogFiles (for SQL Server 2014). If memory serves, this can be configured during install time, so that folder MAY not be accurate for your system.

If not, I'd check that log. I'd also check the server logs and sql agent job logs.

BUT the error you presented tells you what was wrong - the subscription contains parameter values that are not valid. So I would check the parameters in the subscription to ensure that they will ALWAYS be valid for the report. Next, I would recreate the environment where things failed in a test environment that is from the exact time things failed with the report subscription and run the report with data from that time. It is possible that the report succeeds at 10:00 AM but at 9:00 AM that parameter isn't a valid parameter for the report.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• This might be a long shot, but see if this query gives you any insight.  If the subscription is complaining about the parameters, then it's possible it won't even get recorded in the ReportServer database:

SELECT c.[Name], 
    el.UserName,
    el.[Parameters],
    el.TimeStart
    FROM ReportServer.dbo.ExecutionLog el
    INNER JOIN ReportServer.dbo.[Catalog] c ON el.ReportID = c.ItemID
    WHERE c.[Name] = 'YourReport'
    AND el.TimeStart >= CONVERT(DATE, GETDATE()-2)
    ORDER BY c.[Name], el.TimeStart DESC
  • @Hall of Fame,

Thanks so much, this is best advice.  I'm having problem on Azure vm db, and i have intermittent problem with my params, even I dummied it inside my sp. Still a big mistery whey those params (which are all valid) don't recorded into ReportServer db.

Anybody has a clue?

Best

Mario

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply