The SSIS Data Pump - Level 2 of the Stairway to Integration Services

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for the informative articles!

One quick question: what software application do you use? I have googled and googled, and googled some more. I am using SQL Server Management Studio 2008 R2 and I have Visual Studio 2010 Pro., but cannot find what I am looking for....

Thanks!

Corné

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for the informative articles!

One quick question: what software application do you use? I have googled and googled, and googled some more. I am using SQL Server Management Studio 2008 R2 and I have Visual Studio 2010 Pro., but cannot find what I am looking for....

Thanks!

Corné

• cleroux (5/24/2012)

I have googled and googled, and googled some more ..., but cannot find what I am looking for....

Corné

What are you looking for?

• Hi Corné,

In this series, we are using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Business Intelligence Development Studio. In the very first article in the series, I cover where to find this application. If you do not have SQL Server 2008 R2 client workstation tools installed, you cannot perform the examples provided in this series.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy Leonard, Chief Data Engineer, Enterprise Data & Analytics

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am really excited to do your lessons!

Corné

• I guess I am getting into this game a little late but just started the articles since they were in the latest daily newsletter. Just read the Part 1 and just about to start Part 2 when I noticed one of the first lines said "In our last installment (Part 1 – BIDS) you learned your way around Business Intelligence Development Studio and you are now itching to build an SSIS package that moves real data!". Did I miss something or is there another article on BIDS? I use BIDS almost daily for SSRS but have never used it for Integration Services.

• macrocharlie (9/12/2012)

Did I miss something or is there another article on BIDS? I use BIDS almost daily for SSRS but have never used it for Integration Services.

Hi MacroCharlie,

You did not miss anything, but I sure did. You found a typo. Actually, a missed edit. When we started this series, I started writing the first three articles together. I wrote a couple / three versions of "Part 1" and one of them was entitled "BIDS". I later re-wrote and renamed the first article, but didn't catch this edit. It's an error and I apologize for it.

:{>

• Hi, thanks for these articles.

When you say: "Open (or create) the SSIS project named My_First_SSIS_Project from SSIS Quickstart: Business Intelligence Development Studio and Your First SSIS Project.", are you implying that we've already downloaded/installed some samples? If so, where from?

Many thanks.

• russgriff (10/12/2012)

Hi, thanks for these articles.

When you say: "Open (or create) the SSIS project named My_First_SSIS_Project from SSIS Quickstart: Business Intelligence Development Studio and Your First SSIS Project.", are you implying that we've already downloaded/installed some samples? If so, where from?

Many thanks.

Hi Russ,

You found a typo. I wrote a couple versions of the first article in this series[/url]. An earlier (unpublished) version was titled "SSIS Quickstart: Business Intelligence Development Studio and Your First SSIS Project." Please create the SSIS solution where you read that instruction.

Thank you (and apologies),

Andy

• Cool, thanks. Great articles though 🙂

• A couple things I think need clarification:

Figure 12

Click the New button here to define a new data connection using the Connection Manager Editor. Earlier I wrote the connection managers handle things like database engine instance and database name. This is where we configure those items:

I believe you mean to say "Earlier I wrote that the connection....." Amazing how missing one word can make a sentence confusing.

Figure 13

The server name can be typed into or selected from the Server Name dropdown. Once the server name is configured, SSIS actually connects to the server and retrieves a list of databases. You can enter or select the database in the “Select or enter a database name” dropdown. In this case, I connected to the (local) instance of SQL Server and selected the AdventureWorks database.

I think you skipped something here. What if a person new to this does not have a local instance of SQL server created? Will they know how to do this?

Also, unless I'm misunderstanding something, Persons.Contact seems to be a pre-made table, and I don't see you referencing it anywhere until it's being used. When I follow the steps of the tutorial, that table is not associated with my project.

• Hello, could you tell me what you are referring to (under "Play Along at home") by "Open (or create) the SSIS project named My_First_SSIS_Project from SSIS Quickstart: Business Intelligence Development Studio and Your First SSIS Project."?

Not sure what/where SSIS Quickstart: Business Intelligence Development Studio and Your First SSIS Project might be. Could you turn that into a hyperlink pointing to whatever you're talking about?

Thanks!

• Oops, just noticed a previous reply about the same thing.

However, in the link in your reply, it just takes me to Step One of the SSIS Stairway. I still can't make the connection between what you say in Step Two and its reference to Step One.

What exactly was supposed to have been done in Step One to be ready for Step Two. Nothing looks like an "Action Item" in Step One.

Or in other words, what are you expecting to be already in place before starting to create My_First_SSIS_Project.

PS: Luckily I already knew, but it seems you could improve this by pointing out how to connect to SQL in "Integration Services" mode rather than the normal "Database Connection" mode, that could throw a few people.

Thanks!

• OK, I am fully confused. I created a "First_SSIS_Project" project, and now have an empty solution that looks like:

First_SSIS_Project

- Connections

- Queries

- Miscellaneous

Now what do I do? Your next words are "From the Control Flow toolbox, drag a Data Flow Task onto the Control Flow canvas." but no words on how to open the Control Flow canvas or how to create Package.dtsx.

Sorry, remember, I am completely inexperienced with SSIS, so even absolute beginner steps are needed with such things.

Thanks again!

• What version of AdventureWorks are you using? This example fails with AdventureWorks for SQL Server R2.

Person.Contact doesn't exist anymore, it's been broken into separate tables for EmailAddress, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply