The specified Network password is incorrect

• Hi All,

I m facing an issue with starting SQL Service with a particular domain A/c for the past two days. When I try to start the service with that domain a/c, it says "The specified Network password is incorrect", but the password that i gave is correct.. even two to three people tried and it didnt work... We even tried resetting the password for this a/c in Active Directory but still it wont work... :w00t:

Any help is highly appreciated.....

Thanks!!!

• Have you verified that the server can still communicate with AD?

Also, is the account expired or locked out?

You may need to disjoin and then rejoin the Domain.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• firstly logon to the server with the account details and verify success.

Next, change the service account info and enter the new password via SQL Server configuration manager

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (4/21/2010)

firstly logon to the server with the account details and verify success.

Next, change the service account info and enter the new password via SQL Server configuration manager

This is the service account. The service will not start due to a password problem.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

Perry Whittle (4/21/2010)

This is the service account. The service will not start due to a password problem.

They are still valid steps ... it's always easier to check an id/password with runas or direct login than to do it with a service login. And the OP didn't say whether he was setting up the id via configuration manager or directly via the services console.

• matt stockham (4/21/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

Perry Whittle (4/21/2010)

They are still valid steps ... it's always easier to check an id/password with runas or direct login than to do it with a service login. And the OP didn't say whether he was setting up the id via configuration manager or directly via the services console.

I read the statement as logon to SQL Server instead of logon to a box with that account. No need to logon to a server with that account really - just need to be able to logon anywhere with it.

True the OP did not say where he was doing the account change.

Learn Extended Events

• Hi All,

Thanks for your replied.. I appreciate it.. I just forgot to mention one point... I used the service id to start full text service in one of the servers. I did not get any error and the service ran fine...

I used the same service id and the password to start the full text service in the remaining servers but it did not work.. I get the error " The specified network password is incorrect"..

The service id works fine in one server but does not work in remaining servers.. :crazy:

All the servers are in the same domain... and I always start services through configuration manager...

Thanks!!!!

• My reply says logon to the server not SQL server 😉

the best way to check an accounts validity is to logon to the server, true it doesn't have to be from that server. But

the user is already on that server attempting to start services and the service account has probably already got permissions to logon to that server. It is logical to attempt the logon from there IMHO and experience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My reply says logon to the server not SQL server 😉

the best way to check an accounts validity is to logon to the server, true it doesn't have to be from that server. But

the user is already on that server attempting to start services and the service account has probably already got permissions to logon to that server. It is logical to attempt the logon from there IMHO and experience.

Yes - you are correct - as I read back through it. No argument here.

It also looks like the account has been verified to work on one server. But can the OP logon to the same server that is having the problems with that user account?

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

But can the OP logon to the same server that is having the problems with that user account?

is why I suggested login to server if account or domain is not valid logon will be unsuccessful.

CirquedeSQLeil (4/21/2010)

But can the OP logon to the same server that is having the problems with that user account?

is why I suggested login to server if account or domain is not valid logon will be unsuccessful.

Yes- understood - that statement was in hopes the OP would respond. Sorry for the confusion.

Learn Extended Events

• Ahhhhh.. :w00t:

I tried to login to the server through Remote desktop connection and I got the error message ,

" The account is configured to prevent you from using the computer. Please try another computer"

• Aha policy or permissions restriction.

Learn Extended Events

• karthik -450760 (4/21/2010)

Ahhhhh.. :w00t:

I tried to login to the server through Remote desktop connection and I got the error message ,

" The account is configured to prevent you from using the computer. Please try another computer"

go onto the server and open SQL Server configuration manager and re enter the account name and password for each service as required then try and start the services

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply