The specified Filestream share name is not a valid windows share name. Verify that the share name is a valid windows share name.

• Hi,

When I go to SQL Server Configuration manager, SQL Server Services, right click default instance name and press properties. go to filestream tab,enable file stream t-sql access.

Then When I give the network path of \\SERVERNAME\NAME in the windows share name under Enable Filestream for file I/O Streaming access . It gives me the below error message.

The specified Filestream share name is not a valid windows share name. Verify that the share name is a valid windows share name.

I am doing these tasks using the user account domain\user on the server .

But I can open the location \\SERVERNAME\NAME when I type this location in the windows explorer or under run command.

I am using SQL Server 2008 r2 ent edition 64 bit on windows server 2008 r2 ent edition 64 bit

Is there any way we can fix this problem.

I found the below article

http://support.microsoft.com//kb/937444

This article states the cause as Cluster service does not accept an NT path when you create a cluster file share resource. This article is related to windows server 2003 . But over server is windows server 2008 r2

Our Share path is a cluster aware .

The domain user DOMAIN\user which i am using is a local admin on the server and has security admin and dbcreator server roles on the SQL Server.

Even when we make the user as sysadmin i am still getting the error message.

Please let me know.

Thank You,

• The sharename has to be a local name, without a server/computer name on it. Filestream will then share the data. It isn't a UNC path, it's a local share.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Further clarification:

If you read the data on http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc949109(v=SQL.100).aspx, you'll see that it says:

Enter the name of the Windows share in the Windows Share Name box.

Note that it says, "name of the Windows share", not "path to the Window share". If you're familiar with sharing directories in Windows, this is the same as the name you gave the folder when you went to the "Sharing and Security" tab on the folder properties, and clicked "Share As" and entered a "Share Name".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi,

I am using clustering. So i have to use a san drive which has clustered active - active nodes. Like x:\SAM drive. I want to use SAM drive in the windows file share. when i use it , It is creating the SAM shared folder But when i use it it gives me an wierd path for the shared folder .

\\?\globalroot\Device\RsFx0150\<localmachine>\SAM

Is this the correct behaviour

Thank You,

• Not being a SAN engineer, I really don't know. But if it works, you're fine. Test it with a small dataset and a few files.

Property of The Thread

• Hi Everyone,

I had used a windows share and it had worked.

Thank You for your help.

Thank You,

• I am trying to copy the some files to fileshare of file stream using cmooand line .. i am encountering the same issue.. can you please let us know... how to know the exact windows path for this fileshare ??

• You should never try to modify/copy/manage the files in a filestream share via command line. If you inspect the properties of the share, you will find that it is a virtual device of some sort. Think of it as a window on the database, if you like. This is done for various reasons (security, transaction safety to start with). If it helps, suppose you have a table of ten rows using a filestream column. If you copy a file into the directory where the filestream data is kept, which row would you expect that file to become added to?

• i am copying the files to file stream share .. to populate the file table... so I my question would be .. what is the windows share path for filestream share to copy over the files ? thank you

• I don't think you understand me. This is not how filestream works. you need to connect to SQL Server, and insert or update the filestream enabled column. Moving files to the actual directory will not (can not in fact) associate a particular file with a particular row.

• Ok.. got it... so how would i insert the data in to file table .. with out moving the files to share ? sorry.. If this is a stupid question..:unsure:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply