The Sky is Falling

• Apple on Intel and Microsoft builds on IBM?

Maybe the end of the world is near? Might want to make sure that the sky isn't falling when you walk outside these days. Maybe it's just good business sense, but seeing Microsoft move to the chip that's powering the Apple systems, the PowerPC, was a huge shock. Now this week seeing Apple is porting to Intel chips, under Steve Jobs no less, is a whole nother level of stunning.

IBM is not out and not giving up on their chips, but that's second tier news. The switch for Apple is huge and means that OS X system migrations may be more plentiful than ever before. If someone can just reformat or dual boot their PC into either Windows or OS X, why not try OS X? It's worked well for Linux.

Personally I like OS X. And a lot of my work in the evening, catching up on emails, sending the newsletter sometimes, etc., takes place on our iMac in the kitchen. Usually while I'm cooking dinner for the kids, but sometimes just because I'm downstairs I might do some work there. The OS is fairly intuitive, easy to use, and does the job.

What more can you ask for? And with all the security attacks aimed at IE and Windows, it's nice to browse knowing that there's a relatively small chance of catching a worm or virus or spyware. Now I know Apple's had some security issues as of late and if they continue to grow in popularity then I'd expect more and more exploits on that OS.

But with all the success Linux has had in growing on the desktop, I think this is a great move for Apple. A few years later than I'd have liked, but it's still a good move. Now if I could just get Query Analyzer for OS X....

Steve Jones

• Who knows maybe, Oracle will work on sets and sqlserver like cursor??

Now that would be the end of the world .

• Steve;

I don't believe you will be able to do the "dual-boot" as you describe.  Apple has said that OS X will only run on Apple systems, not any Intel system (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1120).  And I suspect the Apple-built systems will have something that will not have Windows drivers to be able to dual-boot on their hardware.

I beleive that overall, while this news is noteworthy, the only practical effect will be that Mac's will pick up speed.  But software, OS's, and hardware are going to be just as separated as it is today.  So to those of us that are exclusively Windows users (and developers), this whole issue is just a big "(yawn) Ho-hum".

Mark

• I do not think its ho-hum.

This will have grand repercussions, though the anti competition department will stop what is starting to look like an increase in the number of teirs of windows.

Where you can have

Windows Servers

Windows Pro Business / Windows Pro Graphics (Mac) / Windows Pro Scientific Edition (64 bit, 128 bit assuming all the others move up to 64 by default) / Windows Pro Entertainment Edition / ... heres a stretch Possibly Windows Pro Handheld (Winberry?)

Windows Home Business / Windows Home Graphics (Mac) / Windows home Scientific Edition (64 bit) / Windows Pro Entertainment Edition or otherwise known as the, OS X BOX!

If this comes to frutition, you heard it here first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply