The Remote DBA

• robert.sterbal 56890 (8/1/2016)

Fortunately Marissa Mayer, the proponent of everyone in the office at Yahoo decided to collect her $50 million dollars, close her think tank, and stop promoting the benefits of everyone working in the office.

In November 2013, Mayer instituted a performance review system based on a bell curve ranking of employees, suggesting that managers rank their employees on a bell curve, with those at the low end being fired. Employees complained that some managers were viewing the process as mandatory. In February 2016, a former Yahoo employee filed a lawsuit against the company claiming that Yahoo's firing practices have violated California law.

from Wikipedia. With the churn of that sort of management by elimination, I hope they had a firewall blocking the job searches at work.

Forbes has a good article describing the relationship between pay and performance, interesting stuff!

http://fortune.com/2016/07/25/ceo-pay-total-shareholder-return/

edit: more mayer fun

http://www.businessinsider.com/yahoo-ceo-marissa-mayer-blows-millions-on-parties-and-sponsorships-says-eric-jackson-2015-12

Oh yeah livin the CEO life!

Here's one a bit more on point, about working from home and Yahoo's take on it:

http://www.wired.com/2013/02/yahoo-no-work-from-home/

Here's a quote from that article from a relative nobody that I believe does strike home, its analysis is spot on in highlighting the source of the results Mayer achieved.

It’s about being part of an ecosystem. I think that’s what Mayer was trying to convey,” Schwartz says. “If you’re building a culture, a huge part of that culture is being present within it.”

What that means to me is that Mayer wanted to create a culture at Yahoo, but by requiring physical presence, the culture Mayer desired would look like one that predated the written word. They probably burned fires in the cubicles LOLOL

LOL look at this (probably biased) article about her!

If you’re Yahoo!, however, you put “Affirmative Action Hire” or “Easy, Breezy, Covergirl” in your third-rate search engine and hope for the best. What dubious specimen does the search engine spit out? One Marissa Mayer.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/01/18/marissa-mayer-become-symbol-silicon-valleys-disastrous-tokenism/

SAVAGE!

• Coincidentally in one of my emails today there was a newsletter from Toolbiox.com on a survey done across all sorts of career fields. 77% of all workers, regardless of their profession, would prefer to telecommute. The article's name is Toolbox.com: Survey Says: Telecommuting Is the New Dream Job.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I have found that telecommuting is never the problem. The individual, the company, the management and the infrastructure can all be problems. The right person with the right level of support and with the appropriate equipment can work from home.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (10/27/2016)

I have found that telecommuting is never the problem. The individual, the company, the management and the infrastructure can all be problems. The right person with the right level of support and with the appropriate equipment can work from home.

Too bad many in management have the believe that you are only working if your butt is in a chair at a desk in their office.

• Agreed.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Lynn Pettis (10/27/2016)

Gary Varga (10/27/2016)

I have found that telecommuting is never the problem. The individual, the company, the management and the infrastructure can all be problems. The right person with the right level of support and with the appropriate equipment can work from home.

Too bad many in management have the believe that you are only working if your butt is in a chair at a desk in their office.

Ha! If only they could see what's on our screen. :hehe:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (10/27/2016)

Lynn Pettis (10/27/2016)

Gary Varga (10/27/2016)

Ha! If only they could see what's on our screen. :hehe:

My boss sees this, I even mentioned I answer questions here to keep my skills sharp working on issues or problems that I don't usually encounter in our environment in my self evaluation for my yearly review.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply