The Reliable DBA

• I was the only technical resource on my team until I got the business to understand that one day, I won't be here. What then?

Hard to have those discussions because everyone thinks you're leaving. It's not about that. I hit my 5 year mark a few weeks ago and I brought up this point 4 years ago. Like with our data, redundancy and backups are needed to ensure success. Always.

• As a contractor, I don't get to play the 'sole DB resource' bit very often. What I do get to do is evaluate what has already been done in a place and where they are exposed/wrong in the way they have done things. The worst things I see are other 'contractors' who know next to nothing about the admin side of SQL passing themselves off as DBA's and then screwing the servers, at my current placement, its scary how badly wrong everything is. They have enterprise on clusters with availability groups that I am surprised even work, I have spent the last month correcting all the mistakes, but still have a way to go before I'd even consider failing over. So, yeah, one superstar in every organisation would be a nice to have. 😉

• Rod at work - Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:12 AM

There are most databases at my current job, than I am aware of. Overall, I would say that the DBA's here are highly thought of. The databases run as expected, are there as needed and provide data when necessary.

As to the main, or only knowledgeable person on a software system or database, I do see that here. But in fairness to my current employer, I've seen it elsewhere as well. I confess that in my early career I wanted to be the only person who know project/database XYZ. For some reason I thought it made me more highly valued and I was threaten by bosses in the past who wanted me to cross train other people. Thank God I've given up on the whole sole owner/expert on system XYZ.

The problem with marketing oneself as the only guy who knows the X thing is that X becomes the only thing one works on. Eventually, when the world moves on to the new Y thing, X becomes obsolete, and the X guy become obsoletes as well. The X guy complains about the industry leaving him behind, but really, the X guy is his own worst enemy.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply