The Reading Poll

• Jason Miller (7/24/2009)

jpowers (7/24/2009)

But haven't we learned from recent legal history that it is almost impossible to completely get rid of emails and other supposedly ephemeral transmissions? Somewhere, there will be some server with a cache containing the original material.

Granted, yes. BUT... If the official version being pushed to the young contains the "approved" content, all that Da Man has to do is marginalize those miscreants that dare question the authority of Oz...

After all, November 1933: When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community." -Adolf Hitler

To which I reply: Gack!

• Aaron N. Cutshall (7/24/2009)

Several years ago I entered an essay contest at our local library about what I envisioned the library of the future to be. Basically, I envisioned a device similar to the Kindle where I could go to the library (either in person or online) and "check out" a book. The book would exist on my device for a limited time. If I wanted more time, I would "renew" my book. When the time expired or when I wanted to "return" my book, it would be erased and therefore be made available again. This method would apply not only to books, but magazines, newspapers, audio and video materials.

I didn't win that contest nor received any feedback. That's unfortunate because it would have been interesting to know what the dissenting comments would have been. It's funny how at times any of us can become a seer of the future!

We can do just that now with audiobooks at our library. That is, I can go on line and "check out" an audiobook. The book is downloaded to my PC where I can listen to it or (depending on the publisher) copy to mp3 player, iPod or even burn to CD. The book "expires" in 2 weeks.

Terri

To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. C. is
    (x+1)-ecrable.
    Edgar Allan Poe
    [Discussing fellow writers Cornelius Mathews and William Ellery Channing.]

• clean, used books? give me a battered, dirty, bent copy any day, as long as all the pages are in there!

E-books are OK. reading on an LCD (pc, iPhone, etc.) isn't the same, and it definitely tires the eyes. The Kindle/Sony readers don't have that issue.

• Terri (7/24/2009)

We can do just that now with audiobooks at our library. That is, I can go on line and "check out" an audiobook. The book is downloaded to my PC where I can listen to it or (depending on the publisher) copy to mp3 player, iPod or even burn to CD. The book "expires" in 2 weeks.

Ours introduced that a couple of years ago through another link (probably the same one you use). I find it frustrating that on some I cannot burn to a CD and listen to them in my car for that's where I listen to audio books the most while I'm driving. And of course, DRM prevents me from burning the MP3 files to an audio CD or listening to them on devices that do not support that particular version of DRM.

• Aaron N. Cutshall (7/24/2009)

Terri (7/24/2009)

Ours introduced that a couple of years ago through another link (probably the same one you use). I find it frustrating that on some I cannot burn to a CD and listen to them in my car for that's where I listen to audio books the most while I'm driving. And of course, DRM prevents me from burning the MP3 files to an audio CD or listening to them on devices that do not support that particular version of DRM.

Lots of libraries around the country use the service called Overdrive. I never used it until now because I have an iPod and until last month you couldn't transfer Overdrive books to Apple devices.

Terri

To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. C. is
    (x+1)-ecrable.
    Edgar Allan Poe
    [Discussing fellow writers Cornelius Mathews and William Ellery Channing.]

• I have no idea how many books I read in a year, probably anywhere from 20-50. I should start keeping a list. I have to admit that I struggle to read technical and professional development books because they are too dry. I tend to go on reading binges where I'll read 5 or 6 books in a month and then not read books for awhile (blogs, on-line articles I read regularly).

I read mostly sci-fi/fantasy with some religion/theology thrown in. If my kids (6, 8, 10) have books they want to read I usually screen them as we want to make sure the books are age appropriate.

• Forgot to comment on the Amazon issue. Amazon put themselves into a tough spot by allowing these books to be uploaded and then came across as heavy-handed in their response. I certainly don't like the fact that they removed them from your library without first notifying you. I don't have a Kindle and won't as I can't spend $300 on a reader, and I get most of the books I read from the Library. How often will I re-read a book? I definitely think it would be nice to buy a book and get it in multiple formats. This certainly makes sense for on-line retailers, buy a book on Amazon and get the Kindle version included with the hard copy. You can start the book on your Kindle immediately and yet still get the Hard Copy delivered.

• I should start keeping a list.

I had to start a list (database) for self preservation. I read so many, I can't keep track and I found myself buying the same books that I already had in my library. I print out the list (including my 'wanted' list) and carry the list, along with my latest book, around with me all the time. Then, if I find myself in a place to buy more books, I can look up if I have read the book already or not.

The hard part is that even printed in tiny print on both sides of the paper, the list is getting pretty thick.

• Terri (7/24/2009)

Lots of libraries around the country use the service called Overdrive. I never used it until now because I have an iPod and until last month you couldn't transfer Overdrive books to Apple devices.

Yep, that's the one. I may look into that again now that I'm getting an iPhone.

• JJ B (7/24/2009)

I had to start a list (database) for self preservation. I read so many, I can't keep track and I found myself buying the same books that I already had in my library. I print out the list (including my 'wanted' list) and carry the list, along with my latest book, around with me all the time. Then, if I find myself in a place to buy more books, I can look up if I have read the book already or not.

The hard part is that even printed in tiny print on both sides of the paper, the list is getting pretty thick.

I purchased a program called Book Collectorz that works pretty well. I just enter the ISBN and it looks up the book, photo and all, and will insert it into my collection. I keep different lists for different categories of books or locations of books. The nice thing is that I can export it to an iPhone so when I see a book at a garage sale I can check to see if I already have it or not.

• I purchased a program called Book Collectorz...iPhone

That's a good idea. I don't own a cell phone, PDA, etc. But if I ever do get something like that, I will have to look into one that can handle my book list. An electronic list would certainly be better than carrying around a paper list.

• I read Animal Farm in high school made a note to read 1984 but never got to it, I skipped Mein Kampf but read the late Bill Schirer comprehensive first person report of the war instead the Rise and the fall of the third Reich.

I have to read the base class for .NET 4.0 and SQL Server 2008 RC2 BOL so I may not have time for books soon. I remember high school book chain the book must be finished on a fixed date.

Amazon apologized for the incident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_and_Fall_of_the_Third_Reich

😉

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• The number of books I read varies so much. One year I may only read (or parse) a few technical books and the next I may read 20-30 novels and other non-technical works of non-fiction (astronomy, general science, philosophy, etc.). I don't have any of the new ebook readers but I do get a lot of ebooks in pdf form available (legally) from many sites and read them at my computer.

As for the "crime" and its resolution, I like to put it terms of hardware. Suppose I happen upon a garage sale and buy a TV. Unknown to me, the TV was stolen. Also unknown to me, the thief is subsequently caught, tried and convicted. The police find out that the TV was sold to me. There is no question about me not knowing that the TV was stolen but it now must be returned to its rightful owner. So the authorities wait until I leave my house, break in, remove the TV and return it to the owner.

I think everyone will admit that would be a travesty, an infringement of my rights and an extremely dangerous legal precedent to have established. But that is what Amazon did. There is absolutely no reason Amazon could not have sent an email to all their customers ahead of time explaining the situation and notifying them that the works in question would be removed at the next uplink.

There seems to be a disturbing trend in the world today of people thinking that just because they are in the "right" means they can be as heavy handed as they wish in their remedy. This is surrendering the moral high ground, and the least of the disadvantages is that the victim also surrenders any empathy the public holds out to true victims.

Tomm Carr
    --
    Version Normal Form -- http://groups.google.com/group/vrdbms

• I read 20-50 books a year, depends on the year. I like the physical book better than any electronic delivery. Don't like Audio books at all.

One of my questions is are you purchasing the ebook or are you leasing the ebook. Do you have the rights to sell the ebook to another party when you no longer want it, removing it from your device? If it is a lease agreement then either of the partners to the agreement should be able to end the agreement with prior notice. If the ebook was a sale then no they shouldn't have removed the books.

• I read two to three books a month normally. I say normally because I started reading Infinite Jest a few months ago and it is really slow going. I still have about 1,000 pages to go. I like to own books, hardbound if possible and that is what I mostly read. My wife has a Kindle and when I finish Infinite Jest I get one too so she says.

BTW, I missed the connection in your post between individual rights in a online-linked platform and TiVo enforcing its patents against Dish. I don't see a correlation.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply