The Quickest Guide to Getting Started with PowerPivot

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Quickest Guide to Getting Started with PowerPivot

• Hi Amir,

Just a quick question: Do you know if Excel 2010 has the same Power Pivot features as Excel 2013?

• You need to download the add-in. Try this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7609

• Can you specify the view definition you used for the 2 Fact tables? I'm trying to follow along and also have the 32 bit version installed.

Thanks!

• Great introduction. Thank you.

One thing though: 64-bit Office. The IT manager here views it as nothing but trouble. Incompatible with most other software. Better installed on a separate machine and left on its own island.

So I'll write a query to select the top 250,000 from FactSale.

Regards

• You can use any criteria to reduce the number of rows. Here is what I used:

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[VwFactSales]

AS

SELECT F.*

FROM dbo.FactSales F

INNER JOIN dbo.DimProduct P ON P.ProductKey = F.ProductKey

WHERE YEAR(DateKey) IN (2008,2009)

AND P.ClassID IN (1,3)

GO

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[VwFactSalesQuota]

AS

SELECT F.SalesQuotaKey ,

F.StoreKey,

F.ChannelKey,

F.ProductKey ,

F.DateKey ,

F.ScenarioKey ,

F.SalesQuantityQuota ,

F.SalesAmountQuota

--F.GrossMarginQuota

FROM dbo.FactSalesQuota F

INNER JOIN dbo.DimProduct P ON P.ProductKey = F.ProductKey

WHERE ScenarioKey IN (1,2)

AND Year(DateKey) IN (2008,2009)

AND P.ClassID IN (1,3)

• Thank you for the code. Just added TOP 500000 to the select statements so I can stay with the 32 bit Excel.

Regards

• IT Managers and admins are certainly not open to installing 64-bit version of Office. This is especially true since you cannot just have Excel 64-bit and your entire Office suite needs to be 64-bit. Secondly, the two versions cannot exists side-by-side. The main issue is that many of the third-party add-ins and 32-bit ActiveX controls do not work with 64-bit. My guess is that it will be a while before Microsoft gets the ecosystem around it to work with 64-bit.

• I suggest that you include your reply about the 64-bit in your main article as "qualifier" about your recommendation about using 64-bit - right where your readers can see it, rather than being missed by readers who just do not look at the discussion part.

Otherwise, great article.

• In fact, I would suggest you add Microsoft's own comments on installing 64-bit office

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

• Hi Amir,

Great job on this! Thanks for speaking with me this evening.

Jerry

• Excellent article, thank you. I think that it has some great information and shows that putting these Power Pivots together isn't really all that difficult.

On the 2 GB limit, I would encourage limiting the data anyway. Are you really going to be displaying over 2 GB of data? For most situations, I doubt you need that much data. Using summarized data helps the performance and makes it easier to put together the Power Pivot. You can use a summary table (or tables), view(s), or a stored Procedure as your data source to make that happen.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• I wanted to highlight the 2 GB limit with 32-bit as it can be a source of frustration. Office 64-bit has its issues as we discussed. Using summarized data may also work depending on your needs/requirements.

Once you get above those limits, you probably need to start looking at SSAS Tabular, which in my opinion solves all these issues and more.

Great discussion!

Thanks for sharing your comments.

Amir

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply