The Price of Time

• We have a Crystal Reports developer in my group. She's doing a complicated series of reports on data that is now in Access: she needed a static data set and a payment recorded today would have blown the integrity of what she needed.

Well, her computer blew up a couple of weeks ago, and that particular computer was licensed for Office 2007. I had her do a few things in Access to "streamline" her data, and I'm really glad that she was familiar enough with navigating in Access 2007 that I didn't have to do it! Once we got the query form open I was familiar enough, but man! Give me that little database container any day!

I should go and buy an upgrade for Access 2003 while I still can since it will probably be the last version of Access that I'll ever buy. I see no need to upgrade the rest of my Office XP suite.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• As I was reading Waynes comment, my user called up and asked if I had logged them off that laptop -I like to keep the users on thier toes but I did not do that, this time anyway

Turns out he was working away in Office 2007 and Windows Defender did an update and with no notice rebooted itself, loosing the users work.

Another strike against Vista.

• I was joking because the statements of compatibility flying around. And yes Steve I stuck my hand up many a time in the betas and said, "What the h*!!". I have been so disappointed in the new versions other than the pretty picture cool factor of Vista with a few neat tweaks but nothin I am going to run out for unless it is forced on me. Tried my MSDN copy of Vista here and only recognized my keyboard and mouse and no updates from anyone for Visat on my 3 year old hardware, plus almost all of my software is obsolete to the point o no running (90% of at least).

• Oh, man! I had that happen! Can't remember which program forced the reboot. I think I'd been telling it to 'Restart Later' and eventually the machine decided it had had enough of my procrastination and rebooted. The lovely thing is that it ignores programs with unsaved data that would otherwise not let you close the program without verifying.

All in the name of pogress!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply