The Path

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Path

• Good question, nice and easy for a Friday, thanks

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Nice question, but ambiguous wording in the explanation - "up to " can mean either "up to and including" or "up to but not including ".

Sometimes the context makes it obvious which is meant: in "he drove his sword in up to the guard" it means "up to and not including", while in "he went up to the top of the hill" it means "up to and including". Sometimes the context doesn't make it obvious. In this explanation the context is that the reader is looking to discover whether the intent is "including" or "not including", so it is careless not to specify that.

Tom

• TomThomson (2/19/2016)

Nice question, but ambiguous wording in the explanation - "up to " can mean either "up to and including" or "up to but not including ".

Sometimes the context makes it obvious which is meant: in "he drove his sword in up to the guard" it means "up to and not including", while in "he went up to the top of the hill" it means "up to and including". Sometimes the context doesn't make it obvious. In this explanation the context is that the reader is looking to discover whether the intent is "including" or "not including", so it is careless not to specify that.

Well, if we're being pedantic, "he went up to the top of the hill" does not use the phrase "up to". In that sentence "up" is an adverb modifying "went" and "to" is a preposition. A better example of "up to" meaning "up to and including" would be "you could win up to a million dollars."

Since the possible answers specified "up to, and including" it is clear from the overall context that "up to" in the explanation, not having ", and including" appended, means "up to but not including."

• Nice fun question to end the week.:-)

• Thanks - great question.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Nice and easy - thanks, Steve!

• The question did not tell us what data type and how many characters it is. So the correcter answer will be depend on. for example:

declare @myString char(12);

set @myString ='My\Str\ing';

SELECT LEFT(@MyString, LEN(@MyString) - CHARINDEX('\', REVERSE(@MyString)));

--------------------------------------
    ;-)“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius

• I thought it was a good, straightforward question. Thanks.

• Thanks for the question.

• Nice question, Steve. Thanks!

• Great question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply