M&M

• Thanks for the question!

• Great question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Thanks for the question learnt something new today 🙂

• Good question.

• Maybe my reading comprehension is off this morning, but it seems that, according to the link specified, both of the last two options are correct:

When CHECKSUM is enabled for the PAGE_VERIFY database option, the SQL Server Database Engine calculates a checksum over the contents of the whole page, and stores the value in the page header when a page is written to disk. When the page is read from disk, the checksum is recomputed and compared to the checksum value that is stored in the page header.

So I'm reading this as "the engine calculates the checksum and stores that value when the page is written to disk, and then recalculates the checksum every time the page is read to verify the integrity of the page." If this is true, it seems to me that the checksum of the page is calculated and stored when the page is written, and calculated and compared when the page is read. But both operations are calculating the checksum.

But maybe my non-caffienated brain is missing something...

• Read the question as 'when is it first computed', since there's mention of changing the page verify. Basically, when is the checksum added to a page. It won't be checked (on read) if the page doesn't have one when it's read in.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I did not KNOW the answer but I deduced it by using what I already know about physical storage. The answer makes sense and I am glad you made me think about it.

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Nice question. Thanks

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• [font="Times New Roman"]

Nice question!!

[/font]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply