The OPENJSON return schema

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The OPENJSON return schema

• I've not used this functionality, but the spec. doesn't say to me what the topic suggests:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/functions/openjson-transact-sql?view=sql-server-ver15#with_clause

• This comment alludes to the expected correct answer so I put it in a spoiler block.

Spoiler:

Either I misunderstood the question (which is likely here) or the below working code should not work since I didn't specify a path in the WITH clause, what am I misunderstanding?

DECLARE @j_data NVARCHAR(max) = '[
    {
    "row_id": 1,
    "row_text_value": "This is my text",
    "row_date_value": "2021-09-21T08:31:48"
    }, {
    "row_id": 2,
    "row_text_value": "This is my other text",
    "row_date_value": "2021-08-07T18:29:13"
    }
    ]'

SELECT * FROM openjson(@j_data) WITH (
    row_id INT,
    row_text_value VARCHAR(128),
    row_date_value DATETIME2
    )

The documentation reads:

with_clause contains a list of columns with their types for OPENJSON to return. By default, OPENJSON matches keys in jsonExpression with the column names in with_clause (in this case, matches keys implies that it is case sensitive). If a column name does not match a key name, you can provide an optional column_path, which is a JSON Path Expression that references a key within the jsonExpression

-

• Spoiler:

But the quoted text from the docs doesn't say anywhere that a name, data type, and JSON path are required, merely that with_clause contains a list of columns with their types.  It later says you can provide an optional column path, which is a JSON Path expression, but it's optional.

• Good catch. I misread the help. I've updated the answers and explanation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply