The object name ... contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The maximum is 2.

• I have this problem deleting a table

The object name 'PRODUCCIONREPORTES.DWIcbfSimReportes.dbo.TmpConsDenunciaPeticion' contains more than the maximum number of prefixes. The maximum is 2.

Command SQL

DROP TABLE PRODUCCIONREPORTES.DWIcbfSimReportes.dbo.TmpConsDenunciaPeticion;

• I am getting same problem but I have to use it....How can I do...I want to use select into..

Thanks

• I found that you can prefix server name in From part.

For example, you connect to serverA

(Assuming you have added the linked serverB)

select * into [db].[owner].

from [serverB].[db].[owner].

This works.

But NOT in the one below, even you are connected to serverA:

select * into [serverA].[db].[owner].

from [serverB].[db].[owner].

This test is on SQL server 2008

• I was searching for an answer for this error message and I found the following link that might help others:

http://www.sql-server-helper.com/error-messages/msg-117.aspx

• an old thread i know....but I had a similar problem trying to do a select into over a linked server. To solve the problem, I ran the following query from the target database pulling the data from the database that is on the linked server:

SELECT field1, field2, field3, field 4

INTO myDatabase.mySchema.myTable --run the query from this db, using three part naming

FROM aLinkedServer.aDatabase.aSchema.aTable --this is the db on the linked server

• Assuming the servers have been set up as linked servers, you can run a query in the context of ServerB while still using a connection to ServerA (assuming having privileges on both databases and servers)

exec ServerB.DatabaseB.dbo.sp_executesql N'INSERT INTO ServerA.DatabaseA.dbo.TableA SELECT * FROM DatabaseB.dbo.TableB(or ViewB or FunctionB)'

To use with a function, you can do something similar to

exec ServerB.DatabaseB.dbo.sp_executesql N'INSERT INTO ServerA.DatabaseA.dbo.TableA SELECT * FROM DatabaseB.dbo.

FuncB(@input)',N'@input varchar(MAX)', @input='whatever'

This allows you to bypass issues when you need the 4 part name, but of course I would recommend testing your query directly on ServerB first, and then applying the above

• I've also found that this works: EXEC(‘TRUNCATE TABLE [Test_DB].dbo.thisTable’) AT [Link-Server]

• One needs to use the square brackets [ ] in this case (one of the few cases when there is no escape).

So the incorrect syntax SERVER.DOMAIN.DATABASE.SCHEMA.TABLE must become

[SERVER].[DATABASE].[SCHEMA].

e.g.

SELECT TOP 1 *

FROM [MYSERVER.MYDOMAIN.MYCORP.MYCOMPANY.COM].[MYDATABASE].[dbo].[MYTABLE] ;

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply