I've seen a repeating pattern throughout my career that is effectively a hype cycle.
- New technology is trumpetted from the roof tops as being the greatest thing since sliced bread
- Existing technology has its obituary read out
- Mass panic and a shift to new technology beings while mainly trying to use it like the existing technology
- Successful ones realise that new technology requires a new thought process and enables/requires a new approach
- Failures are disappointed that using new tech for old processes doesn't yield the expected benefits.
- Market realisation of where the new technology ACTUALLY provides a benefit
- For existing technology rumours of its death have been greatly exaggerated
NOSQL is a tool like any other. Used for the job for which it was intended and it will serve you well.
The headaches come when you have to integrate the data from these different database types.
Some NOSQL databases have discovered the value in ACID properties. Most have discovered the narrow waist of SQL