The New Leader - Database Weekly (Sept 29, 2008)

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The New Leader - Database Weekly (Sept 29, 2008)

• I don't know why, but I guess I've always assumed that the TPC benchmarks had been written for multiple database platforms. You're absolutely right, if all they run on is SQL Server, then it's just an exercise in hardware and tuning. They're valuable as new techniques are learned from said tuning, but it would be really nice if IBM and Oracle would pony up the bucks and develop a highly-tuned equivalent functionality benchmark so we could see "whose cuisine reigns supreme". Otherwise you're comparing apples and mangoes.

And about the Dell laptop. That's not a laptop, that's a portable computer. Have fun using it on an airplane, that's why I went with a 15" MacBook Pro rather than the 17". The memory that the Dell claims would be sweet, but that amount of CPU power is totally not needed by me: a single Core2 Duo is perfectly adequate for my needs. I just wish I had more disk space, the stock 160 isn't nearly enough for me.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• The benchmarks are written for multiple platforms, it's that no other platforms appear to have submitted systems.

I do think it's a monster, but if you develop, compile, and do much VM work, I think it would be nice. Overkill for me for sure. I was looking at one of the Acer, $300 laptops that runs Linux. Email, web, text editing and I'm good.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply