The Multilingual Programmer

• Gary Varga - Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:36 AM

You dislike C++ so much you named it twice!!! :w00t:

fixed.   I really do hate that rubbish language, so it doesn't deserve two slots.

Tom

• Tom, what is that last programming language you listed; did you say: Brainf--k?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• The hello world app for C++ on Windows always cracks me up.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff381409(v=vs.85).aspx

• GeorgeCopeland - Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:15 PM

The hello world app for C++ on Windows always cracks me up.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff381409(v=vs.85).aspx

Now that looks interestingly like bog standard c. Am I missing something in that page that requires c++???

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 - Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:04 PM

Now that looks interestingly like bog standard c. Am I missing something in that page that requires c++???

Right you are, C++ implements object inheritance, that is the chainsaw that you can use to cut your own head off that I mentioned earlier.

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, February 28, 2017 1:08 PM

Tom, what is that last programming language you listed; did you say: Brainf--k?

Yes, see the Wikipedia article about it.  I somehow managed to miss Böhm's P′′, which is the language it was based on, probably because P′′ was publicised in 1964, a couple of years before I got interested in computing as opposed to the maths it's based on.

edit: Actually, I didn't use that language for real work, just for showing youngsters that it was actually possible to have a Turing-complete programming language which was in some respects even more horrible than C++ or even VBS while still having pretty minimal syntax,.

Tom

• Basic
    • a tiny bit Redabas (east German version of dBase)
    • DOS batch files (wrote batch based GUI to launch my favorit tools and games)
    • Delphi
    • Cobol
    • VBA (Access); used Access as GUI for a Cobol backed tool
    • T-SQL
    • PL-SQL (Oracle)
    • much more T-SQL 🙂
    • a bit Bash, PowerShell, C#
    • almost forgot: once I wrote scripts for the inofficial addon Wake of God for Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the ERM-"language" was something that of some sort assembler than a real high end programming language

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Thomas Franz.

God is real, unless declared integer.

• Fortran
    • Assembler
    • Basic
    • C
    • Ada
    • RPG
    • Visual Basic
    • SQL
    • C#

Viewing 8 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply