The Missing Certification

• CirquedeSQLeil (4/5/2010)

dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

WayneS (4/5/2010)

Jason mentioned maybe doing the survey online. I know that http://www.surveymonkey.com allows the building of free online surveys. I don't know if there are any other places that do, but I'd bet that there are.

Yep, use that all the time 🙂

Most excellent. I haven't used a free online survey engine. Maybe I should start doing something like that. How long can the survey be made available?

I don't know. But, there is a SQL Saturday this weekend in Richmond, VA that I'll be attending. If we can have something ready by then, I'll do what I can to spread the word.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (4/5/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/5/2010)

dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

WayneS (4/5/2010)

Jason mentioned maybe doing the survey online. I know that http://www.surveymonkey.com allows the building of free online surveys. I don't know if there are any other places that do, but I'd bet that there are.

Most excellent. I haven't used a free online survey engine. Maybe I should start doing something like that. How long can the survey be made available?

I don't know. But, there is a SQL Saturday this weekend in Richmond, VA that I'll be attending. If we can have something ready by then, I'll do what I can to spread the word.

Thanks Wayne. I think that would be very useful.

I would like to spread it around to my UG as well. We have a meeting this Thursday.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

WayneS (4/5/2010)

dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

WayneS (4/5/2010)

dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

Wayne, how about a survey with chapters? I can pass this link around but not many people take time to read and respond thoughtfully but a survey will definitely get some quality response and perhaps can include comments as well.

Thanks

Malathi

Interesting idea. Why don't you come up with one for us?

I will, tonight and send it out here for the first pass. Thanks.

Great, THANKS!

I will check and see the maximum time length, don't remember off hand what it is. I am thinking the quickest/easiest way to get a wide reach would be if PASS would be willing to send it out to all chapter leaders and ask them to poll their groups, if that is a possiblity. Or one of us can send it out to the chapter leader group as well asking for the same thing but it might have less impact.

• dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

I will check and see the maximum time length, don't remember off hand what it is. I am thinking the quickest/easiest way to get a wide reach would be if PASS would be willing to send it out to all chapter leaders and ask them to poll their groups, if that is a possiblity. Or one of us can send it out to the chapter leader group as well asking for the same thing but it might have less impact.

I will see about running it up the PASS ladder to have them send it out.

Learn Extended Events

• ok, here goes...

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HLR8V5S

I have tried to include the topics we have discussed here. Please post some feedback on verbage etc before we send it out to all (or if it is ok please say so). Thanks.

• As of now it is valid for an infinite period of time. Please ignore percentage bar on top, it is not going away , i picked something wrong and can't edit it now.

• Capitalization of SQL Server should be consistent throughout.

I think I would also reword the questions that say "this certification" to " a middle tier certification."

Some verbiage at the beginning to describe the purpose of this poll (to create a new certification level) could be helpful as well.

So far, it looks good and could prove useful.

Learn Extended Events

RBarryYoung (4/5/2010)

GilaMonster (3/31/2010)

Lynn Pettis (3/31/2010)

GilaMonster (3/31/2010)

WayneS (3/31/2010)

dma-669038 (3/31/2010)

One guy i talked to did not know the difference between table scan and index seek except that 'it ran faster')

Makes me wonder what he thinks the difference is between a table scan and a clustered index scan...

That's an evil question to ask.... So many ways to get it wrong.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought that they were the same, except you'd get a table scan on a heap and a clustered index scan where a clustered index existed.

Exactly.

Problem is, too many people think table scan = slow and clustered index scan, because it says index, is something much better and preferable, and don't realise they are essentially the same thing.

One I've heard before -

Q: "Which is better, a table scan or a clustered index scan?"

A: "The clustered index scan"

Q: "Why?"

A: "Because it's using the index and the table scan isn't."

Can I just answer all of these interviews questions with "It Depends ..."?

😀

Well, that just depends.

Well, not just depends - we know what it depends on. It depends on whether it depends or not.

Tom

Capitalization of SQL Server should be consistent throughout.

I think I would also reword the questions that say "this certification" to " a middle tier certification."

Some verbiage at the beginning to describe the purpose of this poll (to create a new certification level) could be helpful as well.

So far, it looks good and could prove useful.

Thanks Jason, i will wait for Wayne/few others also to respond before I fix it.

• dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

ok, here goes...

I have tried to include the topics we have discussed here. Please post some feedback on verbage etc before we send it out to all (or if it is ok please say so). Thanks.

I don't think question 7 gives the right options: certification for one product version should not expire just because a new version is available, but also should not upgrade by magic to the next level. As I reads it now it only allows upgrade by magic and expiration when new version is available.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (4/5/2010)

dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

ok, here goes...

I don't think question 7 gives the right options: certification for one product version should not expire just because a new version is available, but also should not upgrade by magic to the next level. As I reads it now it only allows upgrade by magic and expiration when new version is available.

The debateable point was whether it should go lock step with MS upgrades (so one version is retired and another version introduced) or stay in place longer and include 'credits' for each additional version. Please suggest alterate verbage, thanks.

• Tom.Thomson (4/5/2010)

dma-669038 (4/5/2010)

ok, here goes...

I was waffling on the wording on that one and decided to leave it be. But after having pondered it, I agree that question needs to be clarified some.

I think I opted to leave it as is due to the lack of a consensus on this thread on how best to handle it.

These types of things probably need to also be hashed out in meet n greet group type settings - not just via forum.

Learn Extended Events

• Jason, so would you think it is best removed? I don't mind, I just think it would be one of the questions that would float up into people's heads as they answer, is this something ongoing or upgradeable kind of a thing. We can do it either way and i dont think we have a consensus on anything yet here 🙂

• Let's pull it for now. The wrong wording could create too many questions right now. I think the remaining items though would be less of an issue at this point.

Learn Extended Events

• Let's also try to get the discussion going that is in the new thread on the topic.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic897076-10-1.aspx#bm897222

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 661 through 675 (of 685 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply