The May Car Update

• "Now if only they'd do a 4WD version of it!"

I'd like to see a 4x4 with independent computer controlled motors on each wheel (no transmission), kind of like a diesel locomotive. THAT would have potential.

Nonetheless (chalk it up to idiosynchasies in today's editorial) one won't be in my driveway for a long time... I generally run old (15++ years) cars, I just don't find new cars interesting enough to actually buy one.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Hey, I've got a 33 year old car and a 19 year old one as well. I like old cars, but the wife doesn't. But she likes the Prius, which goes a long with way me

• "Hey, I've got a 33 year old car and a 19 year old one as well"

Steve, I assume that the 19 year old is a car... 

• Both are cars , 74 914 and an 88 911. The kids aren't quite there yet.

• Hmm.  There used to be a car that originally was supposed to have a torque converter at each wheel to eliminate the differential.  What was that called?  Oh yes, Tucker.  The car that had the headlight that followed where you were stearing.  Yeah just saw a commercial (advert) for a car that called such a thing a brand new, breakthrough, technology. 

ATBCharles Kincaid

• ah yes, a kindred soul.

As it happens I am starting out tomorrow on another road trip with my 71 Chevy RV

The thing that makes it fun is that it's a tinkering vehicle, I change something on it every year, been through a variety of sound systems, assembled a really heavy duty alternator/dual battery electrical system, refinished the interior.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• You know there's a movie on the Tucker, called Tucker: The Man and the Dream, or something very much like that.  I'd provide an IMDB link except I'm at work.  Jeff Bridges, IIRC.  I've seen one Tucker: it was at an aircraft museum in Palm Springs, that would have been in 2001.  I have no idea if the car was a permanent exhibit or on loan.

Amazing machine.  I didn't know about the individual differentials on each wheel, that's cool!  I love the steering headlight in the middle.  I believe the originals were to be powered by WW II surplus aircraft/helicopter engines.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• After many years of trying, my wife decided that if we were not going to be able to start a family, she was going to get a Mazda RX7 instead.

That was 23 years ago.

My oldest daughter just turned 22.

• But do you still have the RX-7?

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Rip out all that computer equipment which drains power, and you could get an extra 10mpg I reckon It is an interesting concept, "we want to make a greener car" although the "let's put more weight and power consumption in with extra computers and displays" rather contradicts it!

Devil's advocate, me? Never

• That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure what the draw is on the LCD computer they're using. What's interesting is that there are a lot of manual controls. 1/2 the radio controls are analog, half touchscreen. No power seats. I can't imagine that the power consumption is even close to that of the engine.

But then again, this is the modern world. Can't get rid of those computers

• No RX7.

But I got a Ferrari of wife and mother of three instead!

Which did lead to a 1986 Ford Taurus station wagon.

Maybe a fusion powered RX100 someday for our declining years...

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply