The Lighter Side - Life is like an analogy

• Very nicely done. Well worth perusing. Light-hearted, fun, and spoke to the truth in our work.

• Thanks. I NEEDED this today. This one will be making the rounds in IT here.

------------
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -- Hunter S. Thompson

• Outstanding.

Not only does it remind me of WAY too many of the projects I've worked on, it also reminds me of WAY too many trips with the kids.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Your analogy is like an analogy. (Very funny. Phil Factor will love it.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Brilliant!! The analagy holds up to rigorous scrutiny. Glad to see the project was a success.

[font="Arial"]Ridiculum Ergo Sum[/font]

• I LOVE analogies, and this hits the nail right on the head!

Thanks for a smile that will last all day!

• Thank you, thank you ... when I read your last paragraph I actually laughed out loud, now my cube mates are wondering if I am OK or certifiable as a mental case.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks for the laughs! As a Father of three daughters, I too often experience these same shifting requirements and post implementation surprises. Of course I wouldn't trade it for anything. 🙂

• LOL. I love analogies, too. Finding the right one (as you did) is fantastic.

• "Frankly if you don't think this is a good analogy for software development ..."

I don't know about that. I've been on several projects that the end of your day's activities are a direct analogy for those projects as management tried over and over again to keep the already dead horse pulling the empty cart. I had not thought of those times as repeatedly flushing a turd down the drain but it works for me now!

• Perfect. Thanks for the smile.

• I loved the psuedo "Are we there yet?". Thanks for taking the time!

• Heh. Very good! I find your writing style very reminiscent of Phil Factor's, maybe it's a Brit thing. :hehe:

I'm constantly amazed at how distance is relative. We went to Albuquerque two weeks ago for the day, specifically for my wife to play in a harp circle (which canceled after we were assured, before the drive, that they were doing it).

Round trip? About 500 miles. Out of pocket? Probably $200ish including petrol and dinner since we plundered Trader Joe's for yummy comestibles.

Heck, it's 100 miles one-way if I go home to Cloudcroft on the weekend, which I like to do a couple of times a month.

For space stuff, we have a space museum in Alamogordo (NM) about 20 miles from our house that features g-force test sleds that were used at White Sands Missile Range and the top part of a Saturn V booster that was used to test the emergency escape rocket for the Apollo capsule, among other things. (it also has a mock-up of a GPS satellite, which is pretty cool). And 30 miles from my apartment in Las Cruces is the White Sands Missile Range Missile Park/Museum which has an MLRS battery, a restored and cutaway V-2 rocket, and a Darth Vader helmet that was used in the filming of the original Star Wars trilogy autographed by various LucasArts people.

So we have some cool space stuff around here. Oh, we also have the Trinity site, where the first atomic bomb was detonated, about 200 miles from here. It's open to the public two days a year.

My wife, from the east coast (sorta) is constantly complaining that to easterner Americans 100 miles is a long way and to westerners 100 years is old.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Raymond Wood (5/14/2008)

I loved the psuedo "Are we there yet?". Thanks for taking the time!

Don't forget the "How much longer?" chant rejoinder!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Sorry I could only rate the article "Excellent" when it really deserved an "Outstanding". It was very well written and entertaining; an excellent way to start the day.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply