The Last Job

• BWFC (12/12/2014)

that could be we TUPE straight out through the door.

I'm no lawyer, but as I understand it, TUPE protects you from any changes that are made as a direct result of the transfer of the undertaking. In particular, they can't take you on and just automatically make you redundant. Even if they did, your redundancy terms and length of service will be protected, so you wouldn't lose out completely. In any case, it sounds as if you've enough experience to have a fighting chance of getting another job in the same field. Don't be too disheartened, and good luck!

John

• John Mitchell-245523 (12/12/2014)

BWFC (12/12/2014)

I'm no lawyer, but as I understand it, TUPE protects you from any changes that are made as a direct result of the transfer of the undertaking. In particular, they can't take you on and just automatically make you redundant. Even if they did, your redundancy terms and length of service will be protected, so you wouldn't lose out completely. In any case, it sounds as if you've enough experience to have a fighting chance of getting another job in the same field. Don't be too disheartened, and good luck!

John

From the research that we've done it seems that if there's no suitable employment they can make us redundant pretty much immediately. There are conditions about it for both sides but it is a possibility.

I've said before though, that although I'm now actually more likely to be made redundant than I was in my old job for the same company, I'm in a much better position to get another decent job afterwards. I'm definitely doing my best to look at it as the glass is half full. .....Rumour has it we're woefully under-paid for what we do so having to move on may not be a bad thing...

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• I hope it's the last job as I've got just a few years to retirement but if things go downhill at my current position I will move.

Someone mentioned mentoring after retirement. I've wondered about that. How do you do that?

• BWFC (12/12/2014)

John Mitchell-245523 (12/12/2014)

BWFC (12/12/2014)

John

From the research that we've done it seems that if there's no suitable employment they can make us redundant pretty much immediately. There are conditions about it for both sides but it is a possibility.

I've said before though, that although I'm now actually more likely to be made redundant than I was in my old job for the same company, I'm in a much better position to get another decent job afterwards. I'm definitely doing my best to look at it as the glass is half full. .....Rumour has it we're woefully under-paid for what we do so having to move on may not be a bad thing...

If that's the case, it seems strange that you're even in scope for the transfer. But as I said, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm sure they've got people on it that know a lot more than I do!

You're right about moving on, anyway - doing so is often the only way to get a pay rise if you think you're not getting what you're worth.

John

• Hey! Good for you.

Stay hungry, stay curious!

• I know that there are younger people who clearly understand they are taking a job as a stepping stone. I know that there are older people who have to transition for various reasons, and they may hope something they accept is a stepping stone.

However, once you reach a certain point in your life, and assuming there isn't some current issue with the economy or whatever that is forcing you to accept something you really don't want, you decide to accept a job with some level of expectation that it will be long term. Ideally any job we take should be one where we would be happy to stay until retirement.

Again, excluding temporary issues like the economy, why would we take a job that we know we won't like?

I think the issue is that companies too often don't recognize how they treat their employees as a whole, and as individuals. A person works at a job, is doing good work and is happy with the environment, and then a new manager comes in that wants to spice things up. Sometimes this results in turnover, and frequently it is the best people who leave.

I know of companies that when times turned bad, they had to adjust things, but they did so in a way that employees felt good about what they did. Most times that isn't the case.

I believe people accept a job believing they will enjoy working there for a long time, and that this changes due to a few major issues - the work environment changes for the negative, the employee decides they want more challenges, pay or whatever, or life events force an employee to make a change.

I think work environments frequently change due to companies making decisions based on what some bad apples are doing (or like one particular tech company specializing in searching the web, some CEO just being stupid!!!), which then affects everyone employed there, and results in turnover among the most qualified.

Dave

• I think we're in scope automatically, from what we've gathered it doesn't matter whether there's a job a the other end, the incoming company has to take you on. I think it's for that reason that there's the provision to make people redundant after the transfer. I'm pretty sure that the conditions for our current employer making us redundant are much stricter when TUPE's involved.

The companies involved are both huge multi-nationals with tentacles all over the place so the possibilities with both are certainly there. As I said, doing my best to look at the glass being half full but I'm still hoping my car doesn't need replacing any time soon!

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• I'm 61, I like where I work now and I hope so.

• I'm ostensibly right in the middle of my career. I spent the past 8 years at what I hoped would be the place that I would work until I retired, but changes in management, and the accompanying change in the direction of technology used at that company made me decide to leave. I like what I do, and I've landed at what seems to be another great company, but I will have to wait and see what the future brings in terms of whether I will retire from this position.

• I just started my current position about six weeks ago and find it to be an excellent environment. I was surprised recently when my boss wanted to know if I was interested in moving in to management since he'll be retiring next year. I hadn't been thinking along those lines, but I really should be. This may be my last full-time job: my wife maxxes out her retirement contributions at the observatory in about 7 years (her first and only job since earning her PhD), and she'll be short of 55. She's always wanted to work at the observatories in Hawaii, so I expect we'll be moving there and there's no telling what I'll find the job market to be like over there.

When that happens, I'll be about 60. I don't have the science background to do IT work at an observatory (they do some pretty weird stuff!), so I expect I'll again semi-retire and probably volunteer at a library with the hope of eventually landing an IT position there.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Different take on topic- I recently started at a job where I've been told that this could be the last job of the main dba. So I have several months to learn everything I can from him about IT processes, the business itself and what I can do for them to add value, increase sales and decrease costs. Many teams have come and gone over the years and the systems show it. "Do what you love and the money will follow" philosophy sounds great until you have golden handcuffs. I love my new job but I can't even think about chasing my dreams for less money- too many bills to pay. My career 2.0 will begin in ~10 years when the kids are out of school (I want to become a neuroscientist) or I find funding for a start-up idea. I liked hearing about the gentleman who came out of retirement. From a brain perspective we need to stay mentally active for as long as we can. The moment we don't have challenges is when we atrophy and quickly decline.

--Todd

• Perhaps the question should be, "Is this your last full-time tech job at your current salary?" For myself, absolutely. If you are fortunate enough to stay with the same company for 5 or more years and have received modest raises, you will eventually price yourself out of the competition. The knowledge that you accumulate is of great value to your current job, but most of it does not carry over to the next. High salaries bring high expectations and high stress, so be careful what you wish for. Find a good company, do a good job, keep adding to your skills.

• I have a great opportunity making $90,000 a week, stuffing envelopes, FROM HOME...Just kidding. I couldn't resist. :hehe:

I love everything about this job, and I do mean everything, even the boss, but I must confess, I have no idea if what I'm making is fair or comparative to others in similar careers. If I ever discover I could be making considerably more then I'd probably move on. I'm young enough (43) that I really could use the extra. Don't get me wrong, I'm good with my money, no debt, savings, investments, spend wisely but I feel like I'm just scraping by as a single income household, family of 4 in the USA.

• Thanks for the interesting topic.Something to think about.

It looks like it is my last full time IT job... (but 'never say never'!)

I am over 60 now and I am dreaming about my early retirement by being in IT business for > 40 years.

I started my first IT job around 1973 while was at college

and I still remember punch cards and mainframe assembler 🙂

I would probably try to find some part-time job to keep my mind in shape when retire...

It is a little bit scare to stop working after 40 year in this business.

I was happy to work in IT for all those long years and keep learning new stuff every day.

I started my long IT journey with my favorite book 'The Art of Computer Programming' by D.Knuth.

• don.schaeffer (12/12/2014)

I hope it's the last job as I've got just a few years to retirement but if things go downhill at my current position I will move.

Someone mentioned mentoring after retirement. I've wondered about that. How do you do that?

I've been menotring for about 10 years. Most of it has been through formal programs at schools. Usually a teacher identifies a student who is good at math and science and/or has a real interest in developing. We don't want anyone who is interested in playing video games. We want students who are interested in creating. The ages are generally 12 to 17. Although, I did mentor a 10 year old who was very talented.

I usually meet with the student at their home after work. The home must be set up so that there is another adult always present. That is for my protection. We can not be alone for even a second.

The agenda is to come up with an application that the teacher agrees with and may have some utility for the school or maybe a business. There are some business partners that help to pay the costs of the program and to present ideas for applications. The length of time is usually a semester. The mentoring is a volunteer position. The costs come in because the program supplies the youth with a laptop. Business partneers usually pick up those costs.

Before a student is selected for the program, they must sign a contract stating that they have will maintain at least a B average overall. If they do not maintain that average, the mentoring ends. That happened to me once out of 12 youths I've mentored.

I have also mentored children of friends informally.

I am amazed at the abilities of these children. I continue contact with these people thorughout their education. I recently recieved an email from a student who is performing at a high level at MIT. He credits me with giving him a solid foundation. I am very humbled.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply