The Last iPhone

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Last iPhone

• I'm with you Steve. When I researched choices for my first tablet, I chose Android for the convenience of the headphone jack, the micro-SD slot and the USB port. It seemed ridiculous to me for Apple to force the user to use email or cloud storage in order to transfer files to or from the device. When the time came for me to choose my first personal (non work) smartphone, again, Android was the natural choice. I also liked the idea of not being locked in to a proprietary vendor ecosystem, possibly because my work-life experience with certain database platforms had shown me that's a less than optimal idea 🙂

• Welcome to the wonderful world of android! Much more bang for your buck. I'm completely with you on the headphone socket issue.

• Made the switch from Android to Apple years ago, and I am much happier. In fact, it precipitated a change in our household to move to Apple altogether. No more Windows except in VMs. It was a good decision. There is a lighting adapter to use corded head phones if that's your preference. I held off upgrading from the 6+ to the 8 for the same reason. I personally find blue tooth a better fit.

• I really like this blog and often use the site for learning new things so a massive thanks for the work you do on it.

I just don't understand the point of todays post though. I thought the world was going to end without a headphone socket on the new iPhone but the box comes with a headphone to lightning adaptor so turns out you can just carry on as before. Looks like it was just a mole hill after all.

• Steve,
    I recently switched from iPhone to Android and back again.
    If you have the time and patience please get an Android.
    If you want to jack with every possible setting and configuration to get a pleasing UI then you'll love sitting around tickling your Android.
    If you want a pleasing user experience out-of-the-box stick with Apple.
    I was never so frustrated.
    Email example from my Android:
     -Open email - wait
     -Click the button that says "yes, I want to see the whole email" [Load More] - wait
     -Click the button that says "yes, I'd like to see the images, too" [Load Images] - wait
    Are you kidding me?!! Display the stinking email!!
    I called my android the clunky monkey - it was the newest, latest, greatest from those Sammy guys.
    ATT was nice enough to replace without a restock fee - since the kid had lied and said no more small Apples (SE)
    I had to have the Apple SE - my desire is small since the phone has to be near me 24/7/365
    The mature lady, my age, explained that Apple can't keep up with demand for the SE and can't figure it out.
    I believe folk are sick of bigger and bigger phones.
    Android folk stay away from my comment and go play with your Android - I'm not interested in your feedback on Android - heard it all.
    For the record, my belief is that every vendor mentioned above is evil, in the order listed.

• I'd like to think my attitude towards technology parallels the Marines mantra...
    Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.
    Currently, my personal phone is an Android (Google Pixel XL) and I'm quite happy with it.  My work-provided phone is an iPhone 6s, and I'm OK with it.  There are things I kind of like in iOS, and things I prefer in Android.  I spent the time sorting out how to do what I need with the iPhone and don't bother complaining about the things I don't like.

It's the same thing with software such as SSMS.  At work I have no choice but to use SSMS 2014, while at home I have SSMS 17.X  It takes some getting used to, but it's not really that big a deal to me.

If my work suddenly decided we had to run Linux instead of Windows on our desktops, then again, improvise, adapt, and overcome.

As for Steve deciding to ditch iPhones over the lack of a headphone jack, I can understand the choice.  Sure, you can get / they come with a dongle to connect a headphone to the Lightning jack, but he doesn't feel like having to keep track of an extra piece to use his headphones.  Someone else will feel differently, that this isn't enough of an issue to cause them to switch phones.  To each their own.

• Just curious Steve,
    Do you require parallel and serial ports on your new laptop purchases too? LOL

• If you are ditching iPhones just for the headphones: the box comes with an adapter that will let you use wired headphones on the lightning jack. This was a concern for me too until I discovered the adapter.

Hakim Ali
    www.sqlzen.com

• I have actually used android since my first smart phone.  I am on phone number 4 with it and learned a lot of things with it over the years.  I have touched a few iPhones, but was not a huge fan of the UI or trying to find things on it.  I like my "home screens" to be mostly clutter free and to hold widgets such as calendar and weather.
    First, if you are a fan of the iPhone UI, try to find a phone that supports a MIUI based ROM.  The MI launcher was designed to look and feel like the iPhone UI.
    Next, have a look at odd brand Android phones.  What I mean by this is look at phones made by Lenovo or LeEco or Xiaomi instead of the brands your provider offers; but do make certain to look for if it supports the bands your provider offers.  Why do I suggest this?  Because you can often get a phone with the features you want/need for a fraction of the cost.  I paid $350 for my phone and it has 6 GB of memory and 128 GB internal storage.  The only downside with grabbing one of those odd brand phones is that they are usually a bit behind in updates.  The latest version of the ROM for my phone is android 7.0.  But to be fair, I don't know of many android 8 features that I am dying to try out that aren't built into the ROM.

If you are a tinkerer, there are a LOT of cool customizations you can do to your phone from changing LED colors to increasing (or decreasing) the vibration strength to optimizing performance vs battery life.  If you like to tinker, make sure to look up your device on the XDA forums.
    My first android phone I bricked putting the wrong kernel on it.  A hard brick and I needed to replace the phone.  Went with samsung for my first and second phones and was not a big fan of the touchwiz launcher... it was clunky and a huge memory hog.  Third phone was non-samsung and it was friggin awesome except a pig on battery.  My 4th (and current) phone is a nice balance.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• UI is a very important topic to me. As a software engineer producing LOB apps I've got to make UI better for users to do their jobs and be productive. However, I will admit that I'm not an "artist". I can combine colors in a way that it reasonably good for the user to see, but I know people much better at it than I am. I also recognize that, to a degree, UI and especially user experience (UX) is personal preference. I'm struggling now with a UX decision made about an app we've recently launched that causes some users difficulties. During development I explained a different approach, but was overruled. Now I'm living with it. But I also recognize that at the end of the day, it is often just personal preference.

One thing though, about people not wanting to move onto something new. Here at work we have hundreds of Microsoft Access apps "in the wild". Because there are so many of them they exist for many different reasons. But often people have just gotten used to having 75 or more controls crammed onto small windows with the goofiest stuff next to each other that have nothing to do with one another. I'm stuck with having to help maintain one of these monstrosities. Today, being the day after Microsoft pushed out their monthly security update to all supported versions of Windows, I dread. It is likely that this MS Access app has been broken, due to the security update. The users will be hounding upper management about the break. They are stuck at Access 2007 due to whatever it was that the original developer put in their, which makes it extremely sensitive to updates. I'll have to remind them for the umpteen time, that they'll have to restore back to Office 2007, to fix their problem. I just wish they'd move on.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• It is polarizing for many people to debate Android vs iPhone. Kind of like programmers debating spaces vs tabs (BTW it's tabs FTW). In the end it is about tradeoffs. The Apple ecosystem has a lot of benefits but also confines you to their "walled garden". Android is more flexible in some sense but has its host of problems because of that. Reminds me also of the debate between security and usability. The principle of the matters is the same across all 3 examples here. Regardless of opinion - I try to look at this like an optimization problem without the emotionally charged rhetoric.

• jmlakar 69347 - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:03 AM

It is polarizing for many people to debate Android vs iPhone. Kind of like programmers debating spaces vs tabs (BTW it's tabs FTW). In the end it is about tradeoffs. The Apple ecosystem has a lot of benefits but also confines you to their "walled garden". Android is more flexible in some sense but has its host of problems because of that. Reminds me also of the debate between security and usability. The principle of the matters is the same across all 3 examples here. Regardless of opinion - I try to look at this like an optimization problem without the emotionally charged rhetoric.

But really, when you get down to it, the editorial (at least to me) was never about Android vs iOS, it was about "do you stick with what works and what you're comfortable with, or do you use something new?"

Steve had made the choice to stick with something (wired headphones, no dongle) that he was comfortable with and chose to give up something in return (his iPhone, which he was also comfortable with.)
    And yeah, the discussion of the benefits / disadvantages of iOS vs Android can quickly and easily become a religious holy war...

Also, I'm with you on tabs over spaces.
    :hehe:

• I use google as my primary "cloud service" so I'm already pretty much going to be using android anyways.  But from a purely hardware perspective I've never been a fan Apple's let's make a one button/slot interface to do everything design it sucked on their mouse design and it sucks on their phones, I like having a headphone jack, I like the ability to put a micro sd card in, I like having separate buttons for power, home, volume etc....

• SQLMac - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 4:07 AM

Made the switch from Android to Apple years ago, and I am much happier. In fact, it precipitated a change in our household to move to Apple altogether. No more Windows except in VMs. It was a good decision. There is a lighting adapter to use corded head phones if that's your preference. I held off upgrading from the 6+ to the 8 for the same reason. I personally find blue tooth a better fit.

I've gone back and forth. I had an Android 1 phone and later a Galaxy 4. I think iOS does some things better, some worse. 

Dongles don't work. I keep four pairs of headphones in different bags and vehicles and still lose or break them. I am sure I'd need quite a few

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply