The Job Posting - Do I really have to be the SQL God?

• Ok I am English from England with a B grade A-Level in English Literature (ok a few years ago, but not that many).

I didn't notice the errors immediately.. but I do to tend to gloss read articles. Then I had to read it again to find the mistakes, which was less than I expected from the moan.

:w00t:

Nice article. I am more than happy.

:hehe:

• Craig, thank you very much for the article. This would be very helpful for most of us.

I have seen many job postings which requires people knowledgebale in other database products as well like Oracle, Sybase etc.

Would it be preferable for SQL Server professionals who are working as Administrators to start learning about adminstrating other database products (Oracle, DB2 etc) or should we start learning T-SQL development, SSRS etc.

M&M

• Thanks Craig, really great article about an issue that should concern all professionals. It is very frustrating to see some of the job ads, asking for a lot and trying to figure out what the heck they really looking for :-).

O boy, I hope my grammar is ok ;-).

Cheers

• majorbloodnock (4/14/2011)

Jeff Moden (4/14/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (4/14/2011)

fname lname-1111520 (4/13/2011)

I get it: "then", "than", "there's", "there are". Stop reading (and I did), it can't be coherent.

Oink? You stop reading a technical article about some (minor) grammar issues that 90% of the entire world wouldn't notice?

You must be missing a lot...

On topic: great article Craig. I get frustrated a lot with those job postings of HR/consultancy firms who don't know what the technical content is, so they'll just add some buzzwords. And demand that you speak at least 3 languages fluently, be proficient in at least 5 different domains in IT (which aren't necessarilly linked) and that you are a workaholic. And you can't have more than 3 years of experience, or you're too expensive.

Don't forget two written referrals from two living presidents. 😛

Is that one referral per president or two from each? If you can't write clearly, I might dismiss your whole post as incoherent.

:-P:Whistling:

No, of course it isn't. It's two written referals each signed by two living presidents, and since you don't get to use the same president more than once that requires the signatures of four living presidents in all; after all, no-one is going to ask for two references from the same two people, are they? :Whistling:

Either that or Jeff has taken to witing very unclearly :crazy: :w00t:

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (4/14/2011)

majorbloodnock (4/14/2011)

Jeff Moden (4/14/2011)

Koen Verbeeck (4/14/2011)

fname lname-1111520 (4/13/2011)

I get it: "then", "than", "there's", "there are". Stop reading (and I did), it can't be coherent.

Oink? You stop reading a technical article about some (minor) grammar issues that 90% of the entire world wouldn't notice?

You must be missing a lot...

On topic: great article Craig. I get frustrated a lot with those job postings of HR/consultancy firms who don't know what the technical content is, so they'll just add some buzzwords. And demand that you speak at least 3 languages fluently, be proficient in at least 5 different domains in IT (which aren't necessarilly linked) and that you are a workaholic. And you can't have more than 3 years of experience, or you're too expensive.

Don't forget two written referrals from two living presidents. 😛

Is that one referral per president or two from each? If you can't write clearly, I might dismiss your whole post as incoherent.

:-P:Whistling:

No, of course it isn't. It's two written referals each signed by two living presidents, and since you don't get to use the same president more than once that requires the signatures of four living presidents in all; after all, no-one is going to ask for two references from the same two people, are they? :Whistling:

Either that or Jeff has taken to witing very unclearly :crazy: :w00t:

Nah. Nothing wrong with Jeff's clarity. I'm just exercising my right to be wilfully obtuse whenever it serves my facetiousness best.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• I always like the ones that say something like "expert skills in Oracle and SQL Server". So, basically you want 20 years of combined experience on two major platforms all for the low, low price of one mid-level DBA? Usually, these ads also say something like "3+ years using SQL 2011".

I've learned to skip straight past these ads.

James Stover, McDBA

• Nice job, Craig!

-Ki

• GilaMonster (4/14/2011)

fname lname-1111520 (4/14/2011)

"then" and "there's"... I didn't find it incoherent. I claimed "it can't be coherent". If I were reviewing resumes, you go in the Engrish pile.

Then I suggest you don't read anything I've written (and I'm a native-born English speaker) as I have the tendency to occasionally swap 'or' and 'of' without noticing and seldom does a proof read or grammar check pick that up.

Certainly don't read any of my stuff either. I'm looking at multiple books and articles and blog posts over the last eight years or so and I don't doubt for one second I've got horrific English in all of them.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Nice article Craig. The company I left put up a SQL Superman job to try to replace me, despite my protests. My old boss just kept saying "Let's see what we get." So I don't think anyone actually expects to really fill these requirements. Unfortunately, then the HR guys get involved, go through and pluck out all the keywords and then play keyword bingo with resumes. The only ones that qualify are from people lying their behinds off who then fail the technical interview which is why you have to go through 60-70 phone interviews and 5-10 face to face interviews to actually hire someone. It's frankly getting stupid. This article really helps.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• mohammed moinudheen (4/14/2011)

Craig, thank you very much for the article. This would be very helpful for most of us.

I have seen many job postings which requires people knowledgebale in other database products as well like Oracle, Sybase etc.

Would it be preferable for SQL Server professionals who are working as Administrators to start learning about adminstrating other database products (Oracle, DB2 etc) or should we start learning T-SQL development, SSRS etc.

For the vast majority of work and people.... drill down. Learn more and more and more about SQL Server. It's a huge product. You can't possibly ever learn it all, so learn what you can. The number of jobs that really need people proficient in both Sybase and SQL SErver or DB2 and SQL Server or Oracle and SQL Server or even all of the above, are pretty few. Even with those jobs, most of the time, it's a nice to have.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Thanks Craig. This really opened my eyes to the BS in some of the posts I've been thinking about the last few days. Well written, great content. Job done.

Should you decide to leave your current post, how do you think your HR department would put this niche ability into the job spec? See Grant's post above 😀

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• Great article, thanks for your perspective!

• "what is a SQL Server Engineer" someone who doesn't take care of hardware. 😀

That's what I call myself and I've been doing it for just about 20 years. I hate being called a DBA.

• Grant Fritchey (4/14/2011)

I'm looking at multiple books and articles and blog posts over the last eight years or so and I don't doubt for one second I've got horrific English in all of them.

The Simple-talk books are probably fine, considering how picky and good Tony is. Blogs posts, I agree with you, the most appalling spelling and grammar sneak into those (mine too)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/14/2011)

Grant Fritchey (4/14/2011)

I'm looking at multiple books and articles and blog posts over the last eight years or so and I don't doubt for one second I've got horrific English in all of them.

The Simple-talk books are probably fine, considering how picky and good Tony is. Blogs posts, I agree with you, the most appalling spelling and grammar sneak into those (mine too)

I hate to say this, but doing the rewrite, we missed tons of stuff in the Exec Plans book. But you're right, Tony is incredibly strict. It really helps the quality of the product.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply