The Jerk at Work

• I've been very fortunate in my current job -- nearly everyone is very professional and team-oriented (although the one fellow in the next office can be a bit of a social butterfly, and too much of a suck-up for my liking!  Oh, well, there's always got to be one in the crowd.)

My previous job, however, was a little too much like Stephanie's.  I had to move an old mainframe shop into the 21st Century, and the mainframe programmers didn't want to leave the 1970's, and generally made life hell for anyone who thought otherwise.  Even though I often enjoyed my work and my more progressive-minded colleagues, I left after nearly five years. (BTW, I started off in life as a mainframer.  I'm over 50 years old, and simply decided to keep up with the technology.  Information Technology is not a good career choice for the technologically conservative.  Dinosaur = jerk, in my book).

• I am working a company that I am the only IT guy as SQL DBA.   There is a guy gave me a hard time since I jointed by smashing his stuffs in tables hardly and throwing his trash.  Speak very rude words louds.. alot of f-words.   

The headquater IT team is located another office.   What should I do?

• Options ... hmmm ... I would start with your direct IT superior. If you cannot arrive at a workable solution to improve things I'd check with  Human Resources next. There may be a policy that deals with employee conduct or a code of behaviour that is to be adhered to. In the absence of satisfaction on these choices ... well ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• The Dale Carnegie Course in Human Relations has been one of the best things I have *ever* done.  If your company won't before it, challenge them to pay for half.  If they won't do that, pay for it yourself.  You will be grateful you did.

• Oh, yes, in the meantime, use The Serenity Prayer as your mantra.

• These days I find out it is very hard to know who is the 'jerk' and who is your 'friend' at work.  I met a co-worker who was nice and we got along well, I thought he was my friend and ended up I found out he was a 'jerk'.  He wanted me to help him at work.  After I left the company, he did not even talk to me or answer my email anymore.  

One time I was talking to my friend (in my frined's cube, just used my regular tone of voice) about a junior DBA who was incapable of doing anything and messed up my deployment to production, I guessed someone was listening to our conversation that I did not know about.  The next thing I knew, I was called by my manager that someone complained I was a racist.  The junior DBA was an Indian woman.

My mom lives in HK.  One day she called my office because something she wanted to tell me.  Of course we talked in Chinese.  The next thing I knew someone complained to my manager that I used office time for personal business (just one lousy phone call.)   The office area where I sit has some other department - help desk people, network engineers, web site programmers.  One time one help desk guy watched NCAA basketball final on his computer.  Of course he was fine.  But I got in trouble with one lousy phone call.

These days I learn to keep my mouth shut and not to trust anyone at work !!!

• Hi Loner,

Perhaps you are in a situation you shouldn't be.  Personal calls at work are legal and considered the norm.  We all have family and a life outside of work; and sometimes they mix.  If you find yourself getting bad feedback about perfectly normal and mundane matters there is usually something else going on.  I would consider where you are and whether you are a good fit.  Sorry to be so negative.

andy

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply