The IT Explosion

• Ashamed to say I'm one of the slackers. Till now.

For years I languished in a comfortable (and undemanding) job and then the bottome fell out of the market I thought would last forever. Oops.

Now, after three jobs in two years, I wish I had put in the time THEN when I had it. Now, I'm suffering from being too lightweight in a very heavy field.

Have to burn the brain cells and get back into the market place again. Sheesh! If only...;-)

• I often ask job candidates whether they would please describe some of the more unwanted qualities about the people they have worked with before. A lot of the good candidates actually say what Steve said: coworkers who are in it just to collect a paycheck, and aren’t oriented to improving their skills.

Yet, like Steve, I am willing to acknowledge the humanity of those who are in the unfortunate position of having to work at a job they don’t like in order to support themselves and others. For such people, work feels like enduring cancer – unwanted yet there is little choice about it.

While this is a very difficult position to be in, I think it does necessitate a certain degree of acceptance and willingness to engage – at least if one is to benefit by the experience. Hence I tend to agree with the comment that a good attitude, a little effort, and a smile are generally warranted.

• patrick-1135833 (1/26/2010)

After programming for 10 years, going through burn out, and almost being divorced because of the long hours and stress, I have learned that always trying to move forward and stay ahead of the curve is not only damaging to our own health, but the health of our families. For all of you who are just starting out and are still gung ho....great! But for some of us, doing my job and collecting my paycheck so I can spend more time with my friends and family have now taken front and center.

I used to be the guy with the passion to stay ahead. Now I am just the guy that knows what he's doing, does it well, and does it as quickly as possible so I can spend time at home.

But, in a way I guess I have paid my dues. I worked my tail off and am now taking it a little easy. Atleast until the next big project comes up and then I will probably be back in over my head again.

You cannot do this, you are doing yourself an injustice because now you are on auto-pilot and you are not living anymoreplus you do your boss an injustice by not giving 100%. Bail out and find something else to do.

I am 50 and started programming when I was 40 and I am not at my peak yet and enjoying every moment. My family knows that my job is important and when I bring home the dough they get to do some nice stuff. Fortunately my wife also works (very hard worker and passionate about her job) and sometimes she also need to sacrifice some family time for her work and I am ok with that. Fortunately I don't have to do that so much anymore but the need arise then I am there.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• metawizard2 (1/26/2010)

I've founnd that the delimiter is not passion but self confidence. It takes more self confidence to say "I don't know, but I'm willing to find out. Will you show me how?" than to scoff with disdain and say "I know everything else, I'm just too busy to be bogged down with this trivial detail. Now how do I do this again?"

I love your attitude!!!

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• You sound a little threatened Steve?

• Do I? Not moi. I am confident that I do a good job, and am worth hiring. There are lots of jobs for good employees.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply