The Indian Yes

• I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment that Charles suggests: Just because everyone else does it in a half-arsed fashion doesn't mean that I must do it that way as well.

If a job is to be done then it needs to be done right the first time.

Here in Australia, we have an almost immeasurable number of government departments who look at trials and tests performed all around the world and then some bureaucratic moron says: "Well, *we* didn't perform that test so *we're* going to do it and I'll show you that we'll get it right!" (and then they get it wrong (as per usual) and still claim some sort of victory).

Sorry to digress but Charles' statement works in every single aspect of everyday life and not just in IT and the DBA world.

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• If you are in China doing business, every Chinese business man would say 'absolutely YES'. That does not mean they would try, that means they would use anyway to get it done. See what happens lately to most everything made in China!

I don't know about India, when they say 'Yes', that means they will try, to me it is still an empty promise.

It does not mean they are going to do it right.

• " I agree, America is the center of the known universe. As soon as the rest of the world adopts American culture and values the better."

That is the biggest bull crap I have ever heard. I understand Steve that when you promise something you keep that promise.

Be a good person, don't lie, be polite e.tc. These are standards and have nothing to do with culture.

What makes you think that American culture is better than anybody else's ?

That is total BULL-CRAP and I am not even an Indian.

• I think that Kent was trying to inject some humor there.  Trying to point out the absurd through over stating the absurdity.

At least that what I hope he was trying to do.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I think that was in humor as well, or I hope so.

The problem is what is a "promise?" In most of my dealings, if someone asks me if I can have something done by Sept 1 and I say "yes", then that's a promise. I'm committing to that. Other cultures don't necessarily view things that way.

I love American culture, but it's not better or worse than any other culture.

• I am my word.

When someone asks me to do something, I think about if I will/can do something or not before I make a commitment (or a refusal). People know I am reliable because they experience me as my word. (I do fail sometimes as I am human and life does happen. I take responsibility for not being my word, take action to be back in integrity, and then make adjustments for next time.)

I know how some other people are by my experience of them. Some are their word. Others are not. It's a learning process like any other. I make assumptions. See what happens. Refine my assumptions. (Repeat if necessary.)

Do I have judgments? You bet! It's what I do with those judgments that make the difference.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply