The Importance of Validating Backups

• Without resorting to a third party software, you can't. The only way to access a backup is to restore it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks for the update,

We have a 3rd party application that uses SQL 2008 R2 database, we Backup the production databases and then with a 3rd party application backup exec put them on the tape. I will restore one of these backup sets from tape to a network drive and then retore this .bak file on a developer machine. my question,

How can I check the integrity of this restored database without using our 3rd application to read the data? or when restore process finish without any error this would means everything should work.

Thanks

• To complete what Grant said, if you do a restore of a backup and get no errors all is ok.

• Shahin (1/7/2014)

How can I check the integrity of this restored database without using our 3rd application to read the data? or when restore process finish without any error this would means everything should work.

There are really three levels that need to be checked. First, that the backup isn't corrupt and can be restored. Restoring as you described will do that. Second, that the data inside the database isn't corrupt according to SQL. Running dbcc checkdb on the database will confirm that. However, there could be data inside the database that the application can't handle. If you're doing routine checks don't worry about this level. While the first two levels are easy to check this one is much more difficult to do so most people don't worry about doing it routinely. If you're trying to troubleshoot an issue you may need to point the application at it somehow and test to see if the issue still happens.

• Thank you all for your detailed information. 🙂 appreciate it.

Shahin

• Great article, all newbie (and the seasoned pros!) should read, digest and follow the steps.

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply