• Lynn Pettis (7/7/2015)

Jeff Moden (7/6/2015)

jckfla (7/6/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/2/2015)

Lynn Pettis (7/2/2015)

Work to live, not live to work.

yes

+1 and Amen

By the same token, work does allow you to live. It's good to have your own life and time with your kids and spouse but remember that sometimes some extraordinary effort is required to help out the place providing you with the check that allows you to live a bit. I think everyone needs to go hungry for a week or two to understand the mutual relationship of work. I'm also old enough to remember that if you didn't bust a hump in the field every day, your crops didn't grow and you went hungry. That really hasn't changed. Just where we work has.

I agree with you Jeff, except I have worked where the corporate culture changed to one where you were expected to work 60 hour weeks for 40 hour week pay every week. This wasn't the extraordinary efforts needed to complete a project. I was asked by a Director once why I wasn't working 60 hour weeks when everyone around me was.

Exactly. I had a job once where the project went from needing us to work 40 hours per week to requiring us to be there 80+ hours per week. And it wasn't just for a week or two, but for months on end. And, it became a regular requirement rather than an occasional or infrequent occurrence.

Expecting your technical professionals to make up for the mistakes and issues caused by various parts of the organization is a real detriment to any organization...especially when your talent starts to leave because of a repressive and overtaxing work environment.

• The perennial discussion on Work/Life balance is often easy to end up in agreement. Where I feel most fail, including or especially myself, is the ability to manage it.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Some people may (even subconsciously) be using their work life as an escape from home life.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply