The impact on number of tables or views

• Does someone know what is the impact to SQL server if I have a hurge number of views or tables (for examples, 3000 tables or 8000 views) in one DB?

Thanks for any suggestions or helps.

Cheers

Dev

Edited by - palmdev2002 on 04/12/2002 12:18:25 PM

Cheers

Dev

• Never tried anything close to that size. You wouldnt think it would hurt anything. Worst would be that with so many objects if you're really using them all will be harder to keep everything cached. Add more memory if it comes to that I guess. Using EM will probably be slow!

Andy

• Using 3000 tables or 8000 views which one is better for the performance concern?

Cheers

Dev

Cheers

Dev

• Depends realy on the data being stored. But overall the highest performance hit will be the 3000 tables no matter if those duplicate any data or you have to join a large number them together (including unions).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I thought that view object is only the structure and does not contain any real data. Does it take the same system resource as the table object does?

Cheers

Dev

Cheers

Dev

• quote:

I thought that view object is only the structure

Right.

quote:

Does it take the same system resource as the table object does?

Not exactly, it is mostly the number of object pointers in the file that are created and the more items the more resource pointers, not to mention the data representation of the view itself (not data just the representation of the view statement in the syscomments table and syscolumns table).

Not sure thou where I caused you to interpret it that way. Did you possibly miss read my statement on

quote:

overall the highest performance hit will be the 3000 tables

maybe I should have written as.

Having too many tables is generally worse than too many views, due to space to store (especially duplicated data) or if you have to do a lot of joins to put data back into a representation of what you want to display.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply