The Ideal IDE

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, August 6, 2018 9:15 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Ideal IDE

These days I randomly switch back and forth between SSMS and VS.  For admin tasks, pretty much that means SSMS.  For general querying and developing, I'm agnostic though tend to use SSMS more just because I have used it more.  If I'm working on a BI project,  I'll stick with VS since that's only one IDE to work with.

• SSMS with SQL Prompt and SQL Source Control.

• Jeff Mlakar - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 8:24 AM

I lean towards SSMS - especially when combined with SQL Prompt. I've used DBArtisan before and liked it but not enough to leave SSMS. Visual Studio Code has promise. I never liked working in BIDS / SQL Data Tools.

I use SQL Data Tools for development. I would encourage everyone to use it, if SQL Server is part of the project. I would not go back to a file deploy process. DSC FTW. All admin stuff is in SSMS. I've even asked that all our developers uninstall SSMS if they're not doing any SQL admin work. SSMS is not a good development platform, even though it has some features related to it.

• I posted the list of tools mentioned here:

https://sqlserver.miraheze.org/wiki/The_Ideal_IDE

It would be nice to add any that are missing.

412-977-3526 call/text

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:25 AM

I posted the list of tools mentioned here:

hehe..eventually that list should dwindle down to just that one "Ideal IDE"! eh? Which should be VS-Code .. right? 😀

• Back in the day I used both Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager. I've been using SSMS for I guess 10 years now. I prefer SOS because of its ability to give me Intellisense while I write SQL code. I've only used Visual Studio for writing SSRS reports. However, if you were to say which would I choose for doing all that I do, I'd have to say SSMS, just because it covers just about everything.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I've been using SSMS w/ SQL Prompt an SQL Search for years.  There are other IDEs I have tried but SSMS with those two addons are tough to compete with.  Prior to that I used Query Analyer & Enterprise Manager.  I just wish SSMS was easier to integrate with and I don't like how themes are implemented. 

I have not given DataGrip a try but I sure like the way it looks. 

• knightwisp - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:22 AM

What would be nice in SSMS is session support.
    I use Notepad++ because of this. Saving all files - object-level scripts, build config files etc -  applicable to one release is convenient and tidy when it's saved and opened as one "session".

There are solutions to do this in SSMS.

• Jeff Mlakar - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 8:24 AM

I lean towards SSMS - especially when combined with SQL Prompt. I've used DBArtisan before and liked it but not enough to leave SSMS. Visual Studio Code has promise. I never liked working in BIDS / SQL Data Tools.

I loved DBArtisan and rapidSQL for disconnected work, before we got local instances 😉

• qbrt - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:42 AM

robert.sterbal 56890 - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:25 AM

I posted the list of tools mentioned here:

hehe..eventually that list should dwindle down to just that one "Ideal IDE"! eh? Which should be VS-Code .. right? 😀

Yup as soon as there are plugins for AGs and replication, agent jobs, SSISDB, query store, OLAP cubes, and 3rd-party plugins like SQL Prompt, SQL Source Control/ReadyRoll, SQL Test, etc.  Oh and let's not forget the reports built-in to SSMS.  Maybe not perfect, but usually good enough and easier than role your own.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:46 AM

knightwisp - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:22 AM

What would be nice in SSMS is session support.
    I use Notepad++ because of this. Saving all files - object-level scripts, build config files etc -  applicable to one release is convenient and tidy when it's saved and opened as one "session".

There are solutions to do this in SSMS.

What i wish SSMS had was an option to save all open windows and resume state when you reopen SSMS.  I freaking hate having 5+ query windows open and having to restart for some reason...

• My work colleagues use Toad interface to SQL Server but I find it difficult and scary sometimes, instead opting for SSMS as a developer. I may be wrong but main advantage in Toad is you can double click a table and it just opens and for that they willing to pay a subscription fee.

• gbritton1 - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:51 AM

Yup as soon as there are plugins for AGs and replication, agent jobs, SSISDB, query store, OLAP cubes, and 3rd-party plugins like SQL Prompt, SQL Source Control/ReadyRoll, SQL Test, etc.  Oh and let's not forget the reports built-in to SSMS.  Maybe not perfect, but usually good enough and easier than role your own.

haha.. exactly!!
    And, by that time, this IDE will become what I don't like the most. An application that does everything for everyone on all platforms. Too clumsy, too difficult to work with and takes too long to learn anything and everything in it. And so the cycle starts by abandoning the "Ideal IDE" and start anew with many simple tools to build the holy grail all over again.

• qbrt - Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:49 AM

haha.. exactly!!
    And, by that time, this IDE will become what I don't like the most. An application that does everything for everyone on all platforms. Too clumsy, too difficult to work with and takes too long to learn anything and everything in it. And so the cycle starts by abandoning the "Ideal IDE" and start anew with many simple tools to build the holy grail all over again.

$$$ for devs!

• I use SSMS when doing any database work, even though I have Visual Studio and could probably do it through there--I just like SSMS.  I do use Pragmatic Workbench to monitor my SSIS packages and it also has great tools for comparing databases and generating scripts quickly as well as documenting a database.  I have started playing with SQL Operations Studio and like that I can create dashboards.  I also use Visual Studio Code but that's mostly for opening up code files--I haven't used it to write code.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply