The Hazards of IT

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/27/2008)

Being sedentary is a problem. It's good to take breaks, move around, do some things away from the computer often. Even if it's 10 minutes to walk around and stretch. And do some light exercise at a minimum. Even basic walking and stretching your arms/hands will help.

I completely agree. A few months ago, I started walking for whatever time I had left in my lunch hour after eating. Since I have almost an hour and a half drive each way, I realized I was doing a lot of sitting (especially if I spent the rest of my lunch at my computer). I found the walking has helped with stress and gives me a boost for the afternoon. Also, one of the printers I use is on the other side of the building. My coworkers think it would be inconvenient, but whenever I print something, I get a little mini break away from my work area - helps to relieve any monotony as well.

Ian.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
    -- Winston Churchill

• I'd avoid surgery if at all possible. Used to work for an ortho, and they make lots of little mistakes at times, nothing major, but it might cause you issues years from now. Extra cuts, scar tissue, etc.

I pinch nerves in my neck fairly often. It's happened since high school, and every once in awhile I can't turn my head to either side, which makes for fun conversations with people.

At two times, I went to a chiropractor to help fix things. He made it feel better for a couple days, and if I went to him for 2-3 times a week for a couple weeks, it was more manageable, and went away. If I did nothing, it was very painful, but went away in about 4-5 days.

So the chiro "managed" the pain, but also prolonged things more. This happened twice, two different people.

Since then I've gone to better pillows and being more careful about what I do.

Not that chiropractor doesn't work, but I agree with Matt above. It manages things, moves them around, but doesn't necessarily fix the fundamental cause.

Try it if you like. It might work for you, but be sure you take care of yourself. Hopefully you'll have a long life and career, so make it enjoyable.

• It's like most complementary care. It goes along with the regular medical stuff. Most of my doctors take the complementary stuff I'm doing into considerations.

ATBCharles Kincaid

• I'm kind of surprised noone brought up one of the most common source of our self-inflicted physical woes: the snack/soda machine down the hall and our usually deplorable eating habits. That combined with the previously mentioned stress levels and largely sedentary lifestyles, it's a ticking timebomb in our chest and arteries....

Garbage In, Garbage out doesn't just apply to programming or data...

(and - stop staring at the Snickers bar on my desk!.....)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Chiropracters sound dangerous!

I know a very good osteopath who has helped me no end. I had a nasty whiplash injury and he got me to the stage where I could at least sleep at night.

• Heh... regular doses of a good Scotch and soda fixed mine... 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I am more of a vodka man, but alcohol does seem to keep the common cold away. During the flue season, I drink a martini every night and I don't get sick. In the off season, I don't because don't I sleep well after drinking. Nothing really scientific about it, but when I don't drink, I get sick. It's not psychological, because I work in a very tight office, that viruses spread through like wildfire. I have tried drinking and not drinking and I get sick almost immediately when I stop drinking. :hehe:

• I get sick almost immediately when I stop drinking. :hehe:

Erm.... thats alcoholic withdrawal symptoms.

My father-in-law bought me a bike and for 10 years I cycled to work. In all that time I was ill only once. Since I changed my job to one too far to cycle I've been ill more times than I care to count.

If you have to use a bike then

1. You are out in the fresh air

2. You have to eat heathily or you can't do it.

3. You get physically fit

4. Your stress levels go down.

Once my kids have left school I will move to within 15 miles of where I work so I can get back on the bike. In Britain we have something called LeJog (Lands End to John-o-Groats the furthest points apart on the UK land mass). Before I die I am going to do that ride.

• David.Poole (5/31/2008)

Before I die I am going to do that ride.

Or, maybe in the process 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply