The Hassles of Travel

• Jack Corbett (1/15/2009)

...I've sent her off to Montana and Ecuador since we've been married...

How did you pull that off? 🙂

• Like many others, I like to visit foriegn lands but absolutely hate air travel. It used to be the air traveller was pampered, but anymore my feelings on air travel can be summed up in on word --

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ron K.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." -- Martin Fowler

• I keep this one. "I just wish I could go home every night."

You are welcome here in Monterrey, Mexico whenever you want.

• To me there is a distinction between business travel and fun travel.

I used to enjoy both - when I was single or didn't have kids. Now that I have a family I don't have any interest in business travel except for the occasional boondoggle to someplace I actually want to visit, or something like a conference. I'm definitely not interested in being away from home for more than a few days at a time, once in awhile.

But vacation, that's something else. I live for vacation. I don't get to travel as much as I used to Before Kids but my calendar is divided mentally by the time between vacations. I look forward to when we can crack out the passport at least once a year again, but that will likely be a long time coming.

I don't think anyone enjoys the "travel" part of travel - airport hassles, waiting for taxis, uncomfortable hotel beds. But the experience of seeing new places and experiencing new sights and cultures is what it's all about. Oh, and the scuba diving and eating exotic foods 🙂

--
    Anye Mercy
    "Service Unavailable is not an Error" -- John, ENOM support
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in "Princess Bride"
    "Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice." -- Will Durant

• Mike Byrd (1/15/2009)

I think just going to a new location and immersing yourself in a different environment is what life is all about.

I LOVE traveling. In 2003, I had to travel to the UK for work (from Denver, Colorado) for 2 weeks every 2 months, like clockwork. While living out of a suitcase can get old, I still loved it. (Yes, I missed some school concerts and children's sporting events, which I didn't like, mostly because I couldn't schedule around them.) I don't even mind the flight, although the security screenings in US airports and the newer baggage restrictions make it a bit more of a pain.

I love getting to know people. I can get by in German and French, and when I went to Rome for a long weekend, I took a CD on learning Italian to listen on the flight over, just so I could try.

In the job I have now, I don't get to travel at all, and I really miss those trips to the UK. My biggest regret is that we worked long hours and even on weekends, so I didn't get to see much besides the M25.

(In fact, I love reading the posts by the UK members, because of the language nuances.)

• I don't much like travel either, but usually love the places I go to. I have often wished I could be like Samantha in the old TV show Bewitched - just wiggle my nose and jump to another place in the world, then wiggle it again and be back at home whenever I want. 🙂

• Carla;

M25 - worlds's largest car park 😀 damn nuances for all US Citizens world's largest Parking Lot!

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• I don't really have a home. I have a place where I live, currently an apartment, but I can't really say I'm tied to it in any way, emotionally.

I don't like the exhaustion of travel, and I hate the seats on airplanes (even in first class), but I love to go places and all that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Carla Wilson (1/15/2009)

.....(In fact, I love reading the posts by the UK members, because of the language nuances.)

I've never been called a language nuisance before..... 😎

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• Ironically, I fell in love with travel on my first visit to the U.K.. London couldn't have been more different from the big city suburbs where I was born and raised: the people, the architecture, appreciation of history, appreciation of literature, pubs where co-workers of all ages go for a pint after work, cider, music, public transportation, diversity, sidewalks (that people actually use), theater, education, politically informed, mates, senses of humor, relative safety in nearly all neighborhoods (day or night),... I couldn't get enough of the place.

Whether I drive for an hour to my travel destination or fly across the world, I usually like to find out where the popular restaurants and hangouts are for the locals and then go there. When I visit a local restuarant, I'll often sit at the bar and, if the vibe is friendly, will usually end up telling somebody that I'm from out of town and asking for recommendations of what to do in my free time. Without exception, I'll get great ideas that a tour service or a concierge is not likely to offer.

Yes, packing and getting to and from the airport is a hassle, but once there, what a great opportunity for a voracious reader, like Steve, to devour a great book (or two or three). I was recently disappointed when the Captain of my flight came on to ask us to prepare for our descent because my book was so engaging that I wasn't ready to land and have to put it down ("Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell).

The ability to travel is a blessing that opens the heart and mind. I wish more of us would take advantage of it (although it's not always easy with our paltry two weeks paid vacation "benefit").

• I hate the 'getting there/getting home' part of travel. It's time consuming and uncomfortable.

But, once at the location I'm fine. My company has an office in Cambrige and I really enjoy the town - great pubs! Also, being that I'm from Boston, I enjoy the sarcastic banter with the locals 😀

• I really like traveling too.

When I first started traveling to teach back in the 90's I got bored and grumpy after the first few trips. I'm rather shy and don't pal around with work colleagues too much at home, and I found that hard to change even when I was thousands of miles from home. However, I went to Jacksonville FL to teach DW Fundamentals in 1999 after my son was born. My mental image of Florida was half Miami, half swamp, so I was really impressed by the beautiful beaches and landscape around Jacksonville. I've always loved the ocean, but no one in class really made any overtures toward going out and I was stuck in my room the first night feeling miserable and missing my family.

I'm not an adventurous person by nature, but the second evening I finally got up the nerve to head out on my own. After driving around for an hour finding my bearings, I found some private beaches and parked in an empty driveway, got out and took a walk on the beach by myself. I felt so free (and a little nervous as I was trespassing) but I was transformed. I was stuck flying back to Dallas on the redeye (this was by my manager's recommendation--we didn't use travel days). So on the last day I wrapped up class early, checked out of my hotel and went to a public beach for 4 hours before heading to the airport. At first I sat in my car and watched the scene, but when a picnic table cleared I jumped out and grabbed it, sat there with a latte and the free paper from the Hotel and just soaked up the Florida sun. This is now one of my mental happy places, those peaceful scenes you recall to calm yourself when your nervous system is not obeying your will.

Since then I've made a point on every business trip to get out unaccompanied and explore, whether that was an hour on Fisherman's Wharf or a long Saturday in Liverpool, England. It's nice to have the company of a friendly student or colleague for dinner, but I don't feel like I've completed my mission unless I get out on my own for a little while. I've made the most interesting friends and had numerous adventures and while I do take care to see to my personal safety, I think I've become a more courageous and self-determined person in the process.

Oh yes, on the UK vs. US dialects. I clearly remember having to edit an entire course one night after a train-the-trainer session where it was pointed out to me that while in the US we might enclose our code in 'tick marks', in the UK this meant what we call 'check marks' and there was no corresponding key on the qwerty for that! (Nor would it be valid SQL if there were.) This term was liberally sprinkled through the text by an author who got tired of saying 'single quotes'. Just one of many gotchas that globalization brought to my door. That and being relentlessly heckled by a roomful of Canadians who thought my use of the word schedule pronounced 'skedyule' was absolutely hilarious (they say 'sheduhl').

😎 Kate The Great :w00t:
    If you don't have time to do it right the first time, where will you find time to do it again?

• I didn't see much at all the last time I was in Cambridge, but I'll ask about the mathematical bridge this time. I'll have some sightseeing time Sunday, though I'm hoping that some American football is available on the TV.

Thanks for the words of welcome, and if I go anywhere else, I'll be sure to let you know.

• Carla Wilson (1/15/2009)

(In fact, I love reading the posts by the UK members, because of the language nuances.)

For one who grew up listening to "The BBC World Service" and "The Goon Show" on NPR I got used to the differences. Driving on the right stills gets my nads in a pinch when I watch it, though. I'm not that afraid of driving in London (or as one person put it, "Parking by increments.").

I'm so into it that the following whispered conversation took place between me and my wife several weeks back:

Me: "This hymn is the start of a small council block."

She: "Why to you say that?"

Me: "It's got six flats." :hehe:

ATBCharles Kincaid

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply