The Growth of Professional Development

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Growth of Professional Development

• I find this whole idea of 'career management' a very interesting topic. But my back-ground isn't from a geeks perspective but rather from an science and business one. I found myself in computer later in life and now I am dealing with a few things from a technological perspective.

My question (as newb as it can be) is this;

You say that your friends and you got jobs with managing bigger and bigger databases, Do you also manage the front-ends of those d-bases?

I find myself doing both along with a lot of other IT related chores. As Robert A. Heinlein once said, "Specialization is for insects.".

• I think that a database professional may or may not be stuck managing the application as well. Often it depends on how large the client base is. If they are large, you may have specialized people, or even help desk, that help support and administer the front end. Otherwise it might be one person. I've done both.

• Specialization is for insects or career contractors. If someone wants to be secure in their job as an IT staff employee, then they have to know the business side as well as the technical side. If all you know is the technical side, then your employer may decide that it's more economical to just outsource your job. However, it's harder to outsource proprietary business knowledge, especially when trying to match it with specific technology background.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I am sure I am preaching to the choir here, however last month IT-based seemed to lead the un-employment figures. Ther is something of a shift of philosophy where once companies tended to have 'teams' of IT workers, now those teams are shrinking and a much broader knowledge base is expected for new-hires.

Not sure if anyone is thinking that way, I sure am now that I am managing a database with a broken front-end. Gotta love Access.

• Interesting Topic!!!

I'm Financial Analyst with a degree in Hospitality Management! my background is in hotel business especially operations, management and acquisitions. I started working with Database 6 years ago because I was the only one in the corporate company that knew how to write vba code in excel (I know silly reason), I was asked to maintain one database, self taught myself thru books and online research. Now I manage and maintain over 6 databases, responsible for the company Data Warehouse and BI Solutions. I didn't stop there! I started developing windows applications using Visual Studio and I migrated most of our important daily excel files into a .NET windows form where users can login and submit data to the database.

I guess my point is you should always look for an opportunity to grow, I never thought that one day I could be a developer!!!

• I think career centric topics are interesting. It is nice to learn new ways to help grow ones career.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply