Migration Project

• Hi

This is the first time I've had to migrate a mission critical 30 vCPU SQL VM from 6 year old VMWare hosts ( Dell R920s I think ) to new Nutanix kit ( the Nutanix spec as yet unknown - but I will post back as I get it ).

The SQL app is a commercial product and is heavy on cursors. The whole project is about how we might determine before the move how we might at least get like for like on the new kit.

I'm tempted to just run up a test system and just see how it goes, however I wanted to be a bit more scientific to see if its possible to roughly predict how many vCPUs we can scale down to on the new kit , given the new kit will likely be a lot faster, including a generous amount of flash disk. We are maintaining VMWare 6.x as the hypervisor, so in effect were just swapping out existing SAN & hardware and replace it with all new Nutanix kit.

This first post is a stub  -  I'm researching the existing and new CPU and hardware spec right now, but also wanted to ask the resident experts here whether you know of any good tech resources to help get an idea of how you bridge from one hardware spec to another to at least maintain performance  , and possibly improve it.

Any suggestions welcome  🙂

PS - I'm *not* being lazy, this is a big jump for our organization so wanted to get it as right as I could by asking those more experienced than I for some guidance.

Thanks in advance, and I will post back as soon as I have more hardware info ( hopefully tomorrow ).

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply