The Great Escape

• I always find myself somewhat amused when anyone argues that the default is what you get by hitting the button marked "customise" and using the dialogue that brings up to change someting.

People used to talk about a default installation to distinguish it from an instance(or server) default which in turn is distinct from a database default - I think that terminology is probably more useful han just saying "default".

Tom

• Jeff Moden (6/26/2014)

Heh... it would appear that the default definition of default is in default. 😀

Gave me a smile at the start of the day.

• I will agree to disagree. Just saying, though, Microsoft doesn't always know best how each server (or database) should be configured. Just look at the default for setup and then for Reporting Services. Yes, both are CI but they aren't the same either.

• Lynn Pettis (6/26/2014)

I will agree to disagree. Just saying, though, Microsoft doesn't always know best how each server (or database) should be configured. Just look at the default for setup and then for Reporting Services. Yes, both are CI but they aren't the same either.

Nobody is saying MS knows best. I think it is pretty well known that the MS defaults are not BP. That doesn't make them any less the default though. Changing a server to meet BP should be done. And yes BP is different based on environment etc etc etc.

But making changes to the defined defaults doesn't change the fact that a change was made. Making a change implies "no longer default."

Then again, maybe your server is now in default no matter how many changes have been made because it is broken or you are behind on the lease agreement.:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I agree to disagree.

• Lynn, only in the context of "Question of the Day" should we assume default settings, and yes, this includes 1Mb growth on data files and 10% growth on log files. I would never make such presumptions when dealing with real life situations.

In the above context the word "default" should be taken as the initial settings Microsoft include in a SQL Server installation. As such, an installation of SQL Server out of the box will not be case sensitive.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• Another thought on the matter.

The default collation on SQL Server will be different depending on the Windows Locale setting. This of course is before performing the setup for SQL Server.

Despite that tidbit, none of the Windows Locale settings causes the Default in SQL Server to change to a CS collation.

Here is the msdn doc on how Locale settings affect SQL Server Collation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143508.aspx

In the end, your default can be different from my default even if we just click through all the prompts during setup and change none of the settings.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• What ever, I'm wrong, I get it.

I don't think in a CI manner unless I'm told otherwise. It isn't natural for me to think that 't' = 'T'. I prefer my systems in a CS collation, I write my code assuming a CS collation. That's why you always see me referring to system views such a sys.databases as that and not SYS.DATABASES or Sys.Databases or however else I have seen these written. This why I find myself fixing code posted by OPs because of inconsistencies in their code like declaring a column in a table as ColumnId and then using it their code as columned.

I will now walk away and see if Jeff's dust bunnies are busy.

• ok, great learnt somthing new today as well, so thanx Andy 😎

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• interesting question, thanks Andy.

• nice question... which scenario's we can use escape clause?

Manik
    You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.

• The second query

select *

from testdata

where productname like searchpattern escape EscapeClause

is returning to me just one row... I tested the whole code block in the question... care to explain

• pankaja_us (7/21/2014)

The second query

select *

from testdata

where productname like searchpattern escape EscapeClause

is returning to me just one row... I tested the whole code block in the question... care to explain

I imagine it's because your default collation is case sensitive. As a general rule, QotD is interpreted as referring to an insttance of SQL server which is installed with every default maintained, none of the defaults oberridden by user chosen values. Every curently suported version of SQL Server (in fact not only those, but every version released from SQLS2000 on, and I believe every earlier version too although I'm not 100% certain of that) by Microsoft defaults (in every locale) on installation to case insensitive default collation, and with a case insensitive collation the second query will return 2 rows.

Tom

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply