The Good Job

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Good Job

• Steve, you are so right. Be thankful for what you have and if you are unhappy find something else. However, in the current economic climate I would say hold on to what you have especially if your job is sort of secure. Also better the devil you know than the one you don't. The grass always looks greener on the other side but first find out how they keep it so green or if it is not just a mirage.:-P:-P:-P:-P

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I am definitely lucky to have a job I enjoy, and one that pays top end of the payscale - and when I start to not enjoy it then I reckon I could be in a new one before 3 months have elapsed - development is thriving in my area.

It's not all about the pay - I just got a new Specialized Tricross Sport on the Cycle to Work scheme - cost to me so far nada, low monthly fee ongoing from next month. Not a benefit that will cost my employer a penny but it is much appreciated at this end.

Life is not so bad....:w00t:

• "Life's too short to live with a crappy job for a long time, no matter how much they pay you."

Well that's just the best thing I've read in a long time.

/@devandreas

• "no matter how much they pay you"

Ideally, if most of us refuse to work in the crappy environments, they'll either have to pay obscene amounts of money compared to the quality of the employee they'll get or the work environment will have to get better. With skilled labour like ours in short supply, that seems to work as opposed to say staff at a call centre.

Definitely quite happy where I am. I don't even think I could put a price tag on what it's worth. I've read that an unhappy employee will leave for a 10% pay cut at a better job but a happy one will turn down a 30% increase.

• Pay? You actually get paid? :w00t:

(Looks down at chains connecting him to the desk, just two hours till the next restroom break...)

• Everyone is self employed, or should consider themselves self employed. You work for yourself, but are employed by the company. I have as much loyalty to my current employer as my last paycheck because that is all of the loyalty they will ever have for me.

• I really like my current job and employer. When I was interviewing, they were the only one that, after the interview, I felt, "Wow! This'll be a good company to work for!" (The rest ranged from "I could do that till I find something better" all the way to "Not if they doubled their offer!")

The past year has proven that "wow" moment was correct. Definitely a good place to work, and a good manager to work for. (And, no, they don't read my posts on this site.)

Good pay, not the best in the industry, but enough that my wife doesn't "need" a job. Good work environment. Good team. Good manager. Crappy commute, but I'm working on that.

Do I consider myself self-employed with an option of leaving at a moment's notice if I need to? Yep. But I'm happy where I am right now.

Much better than my last three jobs. Oddly, all three of those involved spending some time every month updating and sending out my resume, possibly due to serious suckage at work. This one doesn't.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I did make my move 3 months ago. The funny part was that the company I was leaving had a hard time believing that I wasn't leaving for pay (new salary is a few hundred dollars less), and they kept asking if they could make up the difference to get me to stay as if I wasn't telling the truth. It HAD to be the money, no way it could be the job or company, right?

Major pluses on the new company: I'm discouraged from overtime - my building security card doesn't work before 6am, after 630pm, or on weekends. I have a laptop but I'm encouraged to leave it at work. They're resisting giving me a corporate phone, saying that off-hours means not available, even for checking email. The IT manager is the first person on the emergency call tree, not the people under him.

Lovely words -- "we pay you for 40 hours, we want 40 hours and no more."

• Tony++ (10/26/2011)

I did make my move 3 months ago. The funny part was that the company I was leaving had a hard time believing that I wasn't leaving for pay (new salary is a few hundred dollars less), and they kept asking if they could make up the difference to get me to stay as if I wasn't telling the truth. It HAD to be the money, no way it could be the job or company, right?

Major pluses on the new company: I'm discouraged from overtime - my building security card doesn't work before 6am, after 630pm, or on weekends. I have a laptop but I'm encouraged to leave it at work. They're resisting giving me a corporate phone, saying that off-hours means not available, even for checking email. The IT manager is the first person on the emergency call tree, not the people under him.

Lovely words -- "we pay you for 40 hours, we want 40 hours and no more."

Pretty much the same here.

Would love some remote work once in a while. But that's pretty much the only thing missing.

• People that get to attend events are there because they work for companies that value the advancement of their employees skills. So, you are definitely getting a skewed sample. Where I work, no one has received a raise in 3 1/2 years.:( However, I enjoy the work and the people I work with are some of the best I have worked with. I find enjoyable work and working with good(both professionally and personally) people more valuable than additional money.:-)

• I truly like where I work. I have a great team, manager and director. Heck, even the CIO is a great guy. The only thing I would change might be the ability to telecommute once or twice a week, but I know that's not an option at most companies. With that said, I think everyone should consider themselves self employed. It's not about loyalty, it's about business. If the company needs to lay you off, then they will regardless if they like you or not. It's not personal, just business. So, that's why I view my self as self-employed. I have to take care of myself and my family.

• Excellent article!

I worked for the same company for 14 years, and mostly loved it. But for the last 2 or 3 years wasn't very happy. I overheard myself described, by an outside consultant, as a puppy whose master keeps kicking it, but keeps coming back for more. That was it for me. Within two weeks I found a better job, with more responsibility, better pay, and much much better management.

My only regret is putting up with it as long as I did.

Simone
  • arussell_10 (10/26/2011)

I truly like where I work. I have a great team, manager and director. Heck, even the CIO is a great guy. The only thing I would change might be the ability to telecommute once or twice a week, but I know that's not an option at most companies. With that said, I think everyone should consider themselves self employed. It's not about loyalty, it's about business. If the company needs to lay you off, then they will regardless if they like you or not. It's not personal, just business. So, that's why I view my self as self-employed. I have to take care of myself and my family.

We could all take a cue from Don Corleone in this regard.

I made my last job switch based solely on changes in my personal life. My wedding is coming up in January and my future wife and I agreed that we both needed to make changes in our lives to start our new life together off right. While I still have a lot of heart for my old company and the people there, for me this was one of my changes.

If I felt it was time, or my situation changed once again, I would do it again.

• It's been said that some live to work while others work to live.

Not saying that I've achieved that as of yet, but really liking where I work, being appreciated there, and being able to see my actions translate into growth for the company is very satisfying.

I'm truly thankful!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply