The GDPR is Coming to the US

• andrew gothard - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:34 AM

TBH, objection handling is, as far as a sales weasel is concerned, just an opportunity to cover misconceptions about their product.  Realistically, if it was never done, practically nothing would ever get sold.  The Weasel Mantra is "you get paid for getting a yes or no, not an objection", "No" is the work, "Yes" is the payoff. 
    I simply don't give objections, just "No" or "No, but good luck with your next prospect" <- Trans:  I know the score mate, no point pushing this one.  If they push it after a no (highly unprofessional) then they will get "Look, I'm not here to help you practice your objection handling, that was a no". 
    Upselling on the other hand I despise with an almost rabid passion, it's just plain ******* obnoxious.  I will just tell people doing that to forget the original sale - iof I wanted a $$$$ing coffee with it I'd order it, if I wanted an xWidget as well, I'd have bloody asked for an xWidget..  Another Social Cancer from the likes of McDonalds apparently, although I wouldn't know personally.

In a former life, I made my living doing phone sales. I'm well versed in both the art and science of getting someone on the phone, keeping them on the phone, getting to nod their head yes to small insignificant questions, never being the first person to speak after a question is asked... blah blah blah.
    More importantly, I notice it when sales people are trying to use those specific techniques on me... And make no mistake, they are infact a set of taught techniques designed to manipulate the person on the other end of the phone.

The thing that most people don't know... You can't hurt a sales persons feelings. They are used to rejection and they operate on the idea that every rejection is a step closer to a sale.
    This means they don't mind rejections, they just want them to conclude as quickly as possible.
    When I did phone sales for a living, someone who was rude and slammed the phone down never bothered me at all. It simply allowed me to move on to the next name on my lead list.
    It was the "strokes" that made me want to slit my wrists. For those not familiar with the term "stroke" in this context... It's a person who leads a sales person on but, for whatever reason, never actually pulls the trigger on the paperwork.

So... If you're really bothered by people calling to sell you stuff and you really want them to feel your pain... be a stroke.

Side note: I've received some great sales calls from people who are real pros. I actually enjoy getting those calls simply because I have an appreciation for just how good they really are. In those cases, I usually pay them compliments and tell them that I really liked how they handled whatever curve ball I tried to throw at them... I'm upfront about the fact that I'm not a buyer but I'm enjoying the conversation and they are welcome to keep trying. It's the "script readers" that I like to screw with.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:50 AM

Well, then the people I say no to must be unprofessional.  They seem to think no is simply another word for objection.  If, after the second or third no, I just hang up.  Of course lately, I just say no when they start their pitch and hang up.

I believe a lot of these cold callers get paid not based on sales outcome but rather on the volume of calls where they can keep the mark on the line for more than X minutes. They're really not sales professionals, they're just a legion of minimum wage pre-screeners compiling a database of "maybe interested" contacts who the real producers can later use as leads... so THEIR precious time doesn't get wasted.

It's no surprise that cold calling and customer support were the next industry to get automated after factory labor. I feel sorry for the poor blokes who lost their job at the factory only to go into telemarketing. :unsure:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• For these types of calls, asking to be put on their do not call list is fairly effective. They aren't true scammers, so the threat of a lawsuit is actually compelling. My favorite one off tactic is to ask the company on twitter if they have a don't call list.

412-977-3526 call/text

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:50 AM

Well, then the people I say no to must be unprofessional.  They seem to think no is simply another word for objection.  If, after the second or third no, I just hang up.  Of course lately, I just say no when they start their pitch and hang up.

They're clearly complete gits as well then. 
    Myself and a mate were talking to, admittedly an old face to face sales pro, sales guy a while back.  When I mentioned my approach, my mate called me out for being a (expletives removed) rude.  The sales guy just said, no, that suits me perfectly - I wouldn't call that rude at all.  I don't want to waste time on a prospect I can't sell to wasting my time and theirs.  I want to speak to prospects where I can.
    Admittedly his game was building site plant hire and sales.  Spend too long droning on at people with no interest there and after not too long you're going to get dropped off, or into, something.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Eric M Russell - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 3:37 PM

Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:50 AM

I believe a lot of these cold callers get paid not based on sales outcome but rather on the volume of calls where they can keep the mark on the line for more than X minutes. They're really not sales professionals, they're just a legion of minimum wage pre-screeners compiling a database of "maybe interested" contacts who the real producers can later use as leads... so THEIR precious time doesn't get wasted.

It's no surprise that cold calling and customer support were the next industry to get automated after factory labor. I feel sorry for the poor blokes who lost their job at the factory only to go into telemarketing. :unsure:

I can't speak for other organizations or industries but where I worked we needed federal securities licenses to sell anything. So, when a person started, they do nothing but cold calls off of lead lists. Their job was to simply get the person to agree to have a perspectives sent and agree to allow a licensed rep to walk them through that prospectus once it had arrived.
    In that phase, it's all about call counts. Get them on the phone, verify that they met certain minimum net worth requirements, send the prospectus and get off the phone with as little chit-chat as possible. Bonuses were paid for quality lead generation and additional bonuses paid if they closed.
    After you passed SEC licensing, and you were ready to take the leap... You went to a full commission structure. 
    So... In a sense you are correct but it isn't quite as salacious as you make sound. New people are able to have a steady, reliable income while they prep for certs and learn how to use the tools of the trade. Those "real producers" are 100% commission with no base salaries. They have to close or starve.
    And make no mistake, no one is keeping cold callers in menial positions. Managers want to transition cold callers to producers as quickly as possible. Cold callers cost them money and producers make them money.

• robert.sterbal 56890 - Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:26 AM

For these types of calls, asking to be put on their do not call list is fairly effective. They aren't true scammers, so the threat of a lawsuit is actually compelling. My favorite one off tactic is to ask the company on twitter if they have a don't call list.

I did actually work for one.  Certainly this company scrupulously cleaned *every* dataset against both the (UK) national register and our own internal one where people had complained or asked us not to call - even if they didn't want to go on the national register.  If a single one got through, there'd be a major inquest, and an agent who failed to notify us of a caller who asked for a DNC would more likely than not find themselves immediately dismissed.  We'd actually clean the data in the dialer when we got a DNC in case they were in the dataset for another contract.  As well as reputational issues, there are some quite serious sanctions for nuisance calling here.
    Generally, certainly in the UK, any reputable company should do this - at least cleansing against the national list.  I'd go as far as to say that anyone who doesn't follow this type of practice is highly dubious on every level and simply not to be trusted.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• Jason A. Long - Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:35 AM

I can't speak for other organizations or industries but where I worked we needed federal securities licenses to sell anything. So, when a person started, they do nothing but cold calls off of lead lists. Their job was to simply get the person to agree to have a perspectives sent and agree to allow a licensed rep to walk them through that prospectus once it had arrived.
    In that phase, it's all about call counts. Get them on the phone, verify that they met certain minimum net worth requirements, send the prospectus and get off the phone with as little chit-chat as possible. Bonuses were paid for quality lead generation and additional bonuses paid if they closed.
    After you passed SEC licensing, and you were ready to take the leap... You went to a full commission structure. 
    So... In a sense you are correct but it isn't quite as salacious as you make sound. New people are able to have a steady, reliable income while they prep for certs and learn how to use the tools of the trade. Those "real producers" are 100% commission with no base salaries. They have to close or starve.
    And make no mistake, no one is keeping cold callers in menial positions. Managers want to transition cold callers to producers as quickly as possible. Cold callers cost them money and producers make them money.

That's the financial services and investment industry, who are a bit more professional and outcome based. Other industries will hire an army of work-from-home-mums and college students to sell everything from carpet cleaning deals to discount vacations. They recruit folks by using those "Earn $500/week or More From Home" signs on the side of the road, or posting Google ads. Some of these folks sound like bored and dont-give-a-damn spambots on the phone, like it's their 100th call of the day and they're just going through the motions. Honestly, when I feel like I'm getting jerked around, I've sometimes sarcastically retorted "Get a job." before hanging up the phone.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Friday, July 20, 2018 7:34 AM

That's the financial services and investment industry, who are a bit more professional and outcome based. Other industries will hire an army of work-from-home-mums and college students to sell everything from carpet cleaning deals to discount vacations. They recruit folks by using those "Earn $500/week or More From Home" signs on the side of the road, or posting Google ads. Some of these folks sound like bored and dont-give-a-damn spambots on the phone, like it's their 100th call of the day and they're just going through the motions. Honestly, when I feel like I'm getting jerked around, I've sometimes sarcastically retorted "Get a job." before hanging up the phone.

I can only speak to my own experience.
    As to the others... The way I look at it... Anyone who goes and does a job they hate so that they can earn a modest living, has earned far more of my respest than someone, doing nothing, collecting welfare.

• Jason A. Long - Friday, July 20, 2018 8:44 AM

I can onlt speak to my own experience.
    As to the others... The way I look at it... Anyone who goes and does a job they hate so that they can earn a modest living, has earned far more of my respest than someone, doing nothing, collecting welfare.

You're right, any legal hustle that puts food on the table is better than if one were not working at all. Human spam-bots get a lot of flack, because they interact with the public, while wellfare collectors are out of sight and out of mind.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply