The fulltext filter daemon host (FDHost) process has stopped abnormally

• Since moving our db's to to an AOAG in SQL 2017 CU16 Enterprise, the error log repeatedly fills with the following;

Error: 30089, Severity: 17, State: 1.

The fulltext filter daemon host (FDHost) process has stopped abnormally. This can occur if an incorrectly configured or malfunctioning linguistic component, such as a wordbreaker, stemmer or filter has caused an irrecoverable error during full-text indexing or query processing. The process will be restarted automatically.

A new instance of the full-text filter daemon host process has been successfully started.

The FDLAUNCHERRORLOG has the following while the fulltext index is being populated (repeatedly for each guid);

MSSQLFDLauncher service received control message.

MSSQLFDLauncher service successfully launched FDHost.exe Process(process id = 7688). command line = "E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\fdhost.exe" "MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVERA3d1ffb55f4d5bf4bbff94e0f53e57895f6861i9mk0" "MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER" "MSSQL14.MSSQLSERVER" "8" "" "16384" "M" "0" "" "" ""

We have tried changing the SQL Full-Text Filter Daemon Launcher service account to the same domain service account as the SQL Server Service account but still the same errors.

The only things I can find about this issue seems to be SQL 2008 and R2 and nothing since?  Any ideas would be appreciated.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Anything interesting in the windows event logs?

Might not hurt to look there around the time it crashed to see if there is any other events happening at the same time (windows updates, .NET crashes, account lockouts, etc).

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Update of the SQL Server version 14.0.3238.1 solves the issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4515579/cumulative-update-17-for-sql-server-2017

• Hi, thanks for the update and link, which KB in CU17 fixes this issue?  I can't see anything that seems relevant?

• This was not stated in any of the KBs. But the update solved the issue in our case.

• OK, thanks for the info, we'll give it a try.

• Hi, we have the exact same issue and the CU17 is already applied. When we rebuild the catalog on our secondary SQL box that works fine with no warnings.  We just wanted to let you know in case you eventually find the fault and of course if we do we will post it here for you.

• We have re-installed the CU17 and this seems to have resolved the issue for us.

Not sure how  CU could seemingly be installed using Select @@version  it provided the most up to date version.  Can SQL server report an incorrect version if a CU was installed but then SQL server completely re-installed would the CU be misreported perhaps?  Saying this as we did re-install SQL 2017 after installing the CU17 for the first time.

• I think if you re-installed SQL you then you would be back to RTM, you would also need to re-install the CU after.

• Yeah but when we did Select @@version it reported it to be CU17 - would that be the case?

• Not sure to be honest, it may just be messed up if you re-installed RTM without removing SQL first and doing a clean install.  If you can, it may be worth retrying with a completely fresh install to be sure.

• Hello. Just chiming in to say we went down this rabbit hole as well with users reporting full-text search not working after a SQL 2008 > SQL 2017 migration. We went through all of the official Microsoft troubleshooting guides and threads and nothing worked. The only thing that worked was running the CU17 patch. Also, we rebuilt the index afterwards. I have not seen any official documentation relating to the bug or CU17 being the fix, so this thread saved us. We were getting the error where the Daemon launcher attempts to launch over and over and fails.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply