The File location can't be opened error occurs when try to open a FileTable path

• Hi Every one,

I hope you doing good.

I need your help here. I am new to SQL server filestreeam concept. I have created file stream database with files table path. but, I couldn't access file table path. I am getting error as "Windows" can not access , You don't permission to access. Contact your  administrator to request access  " when tried to access path through run window.

Similar, When try to access through Explore file directory in the right click of File stream Table.

"The File location cannot be opened. Either access is not enabled or you do not have permissions for the same."

Also, I have verified  the following setting enabled even though not able to access.

Enable FILESTREAM for file I/O streaming access , Allow remote clients have streaming access.

Could you please help me someone to fix that issue? Also, Please let me know that windows privileges required for accessing the path. else. Can access without windows authentication.

Thanks in advance your kind supporting.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by  manavairajan.
  • Sounds to me like windows permissions are set wrong.  You said you can't access it from Windows run menu OR from SQL Server, this makes sense.  If you have no access to the file in Windows, why would you have access to it in SQL Server UNLESS you are using different credentials in SQL Server and Windows for accessing the file.

If account A has no access to the file, as long as you are using account A you will not be able to access the file, no matter what process or tool you decide to use.

The windows privileges required to access a file are READ at the minimum, but it depends on what you are doing to that file.  Are you reading it, writing to it, deleting it... you need permissions for what you plan to do with the file once you access it.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply