The Ebb and Flow of Community

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Ebb and Flow of Community

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• I have to agree with Phil. When I first started visiting this site, I mostly read, but did post a few questions here and there. But what I found out is that I am passionate about what I do professionally, and that has driven me to be more active on this site. And I believe that is the same for the other "heavy hitters" on this site.

Passion for thier profession, and a desire to help others to be as passionate for thiers. As you learn more about how to use SQL Server to its full potential, the more engaged you become in both your career (profession) and its community.

• I agree with Phil and Lynn. I started out as a reader/learner and as I read more posts and realized I could help I did. Now I do it because I want people to understand how and why SQL Server works the way it does, why I think it is a great product, and why there is always a reason to do things the best way.

Another natural outflow of participation in the forums is the desire to contribute to the community via articles, scripts, and editorials. Many times these flow from seeing the same questions/errors over and over so you KNOW there is a misunderstanding of the issue and want to help correct that.

• I started posting on this forum because I wanted to improve my own SQL skills, and trying to figure out other people's problems seemed like a good way to do that.

I think it worked.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Guys

If you have any idea in this issue, Please give some tips onthis..and detailed process

1. how to pass parameter values dynamically into lastperiods() in MDX 2005

i did like this:

1. dataset1 with lastperiod() static values

for this statics i used MDX LastPeriods(5,[Time].[Fiscal].[Fiscal Year].&[2009].&[2])

2. dataset2 with main query values..

Reuirement:

when i pick the year and qtr values dynamically from parameters ...those year and qtr values to pass to lastperiod(), then accroding that values need to find out last periods()..

:hehe::hehe:

Please give the me directions to solve this issue

Thanks in Advance.

SR

• lrams99 (11/27/2008)

Hi Guys

If you have any idea in this issue, Please give some tips onthis..and detailed process

Please post a new thread with your question and don't hijack a completely unrelated discussion.

Thanks

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • You know, I work for a sole proprietor and am the only employee so, it's only me and my boss. I hardly ever see him because I am always out helping the clients and where I go I am the only programmer so I don't have someone to talk to whenever I had some great solutions or successes in SQL or other programming platforms. Even no one in my family is in IT exept for one brother whom I hardly ever see. What I'm trying to say is SCC is a place where I can share my successes by writing posts or articles and I gives me great pleasure. I enjoy reading and posting here.:smooooth: :smooooth: :smooooth:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• As one of those "wallflowers" I have to agree with Phil. I have enjoyed reading the newsletter and various articles for over 5 years, but only answered about 3 user problems (usually because someone gets there before me on the ones I can answer!). I also really enjoy the non SQL editorials, they help me avoid becoming narrowminded.

Keep up the good work SSC, you certainly make my world a better place.

iain

Regards,Iain

• I agree with all the wonderful things said about SSC.. it could not be more true.

How ever i hv seen a couple of wall flowers who joined long time back, posted/answered a couple of questions and then whoop disappeared.!!! . It bothers me a bit when some people try to use this site to get their homework done or ask questions without themselves trying a bit (especially interview questions) .

All said and done SSC ROCKS...

"Keep Trying"

• Wow being 1 of 20,000 out of 925,000 out of 6 Billion makes me feel special 😀

I just love this forum - partly for the comedy, and the remainder for the good advice and being able to interact with you guys directly. 😉

--Shaun

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• I count myself as just an average poster ... I have asked and answered a few questions, but wouldn't put myself in the same class as some of the top posters.

However, this editorial did prompt me to go for a Friday morning stroll down memory lane (Net assisted :)), thinking of when I used to have similar discussions on the newsgroup comp.os.vms in the 1990's. I don't know if anyone else here also used to be there, but, if so, I'm sure you'll remember Carl. If you encountered him, you'll know who I mean, and if you didn't... Let's just say Carl could be very helpful, but had some flaws.

These days, technical discussions don't get the same sort of characters (probably a good thing :D), but there are always people who go out of their way to help and discuss, which is what makes a community.

Derek

• As always, a great article by Phil. One thing that I like is the "Question of the Day". I've been trawling through the questions for the last 8 years to test my understanding and would hazard a guess that the silent majority tend to register for that purpose. I did!

https://www.abbstract.info/ - my blog
    http://www.sqlsimon.com/ - my experiences with SQL Server 2008

• .... And some of us are wallflowers because we don't have the internet speed. I do not have the time to wait 3 - 5 minutes for a page to open. (our company line is overloaded). If I want to reply, the phone will ring within that 3 minutes, and I have to carry on with the important stuff that pays my bills. But, that does not mean I do not also enjoy the site. I just wish I could interact using email. The response would just be so must easier.

5ilverFox
    Consulting DBA / Developer
    South Africa

• I'm one of those wallfowers who just reads on this site (in fact this is my first post) but I've had the nagging feeling I should contribute to the community as a whole for some time now. It's bailed me out countless times in the past. Mainly my reluctance has been due to the fact that that you never really feel like an expert, everything new thing you learn always seems to highlight ten more things you didn't know. But enough is enough you have to push away from the edge of the pool sooner or later...

Basically I wanted to say that this article has pushed me in to creating a new habit to find some time each week to start trying to answer questions and put something back in, I've taken my fair share out so hopefully I can repay some of that.

Keep up the good work everyone else I for one am grateful.

• What I like most is that at SSC it is all being presented "feet on the ground" and open minded.

It did start its life from within the target public, attracted exactly that public at first and the trend was set to sober, to the point, accurate, helping information for peers.

Very few political stuff and if .... no flames or knifes around.

And yes, every once in a while, I really say thanks to SSC, because I have no other such valuable library at hand.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply