The Design Investment

• Matt S. (9/29/2010)

@Grant

I hear you. I've seen DBAs light up with some glimmer of hope when I'm hired to reign in developers gone wild. It's because I sell my services similarly to how I just described things above.... The database comes FIRST!

Oh I so agree... I constantly battle with managers about getting the data right FIRST!, if the data is right you can present it in any way you want. Develop the data for the business and the presentation layer for the user!

If you design your system from the top down and use an ORM then a year later want to re-purpose the data many managers/developers are surprised when the data design does not work for the new model.

I have also found many Top Down developers decide it is a good thing to store display attributes with the business data. Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• Shawn Richards (3/16/2015)

Matt S. (9/29/2010)

@Grant

I hear you. I've seen DBAs light up with some glimmer of hope when I'm hired to reign in developers gone wild. It's because I sell my services similarly to how I just described things above.... The database comes FIRST!

Oh I so agree... I constantly battle with managers about getting the data right FIRST!, if the data is right you can present it in any way you want. Develop the data for the business and the presentation layer for the user!

If you design your system from the top down and use an ORM then a year later want to re-purpose the data many managers/developers are surprised when the data design does not work for the new model.

I have also found many Top Down developers decide it is a good thing to store display attributes with the business data. Arrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Top down design should stop at the stored procedure logical interface. With my developer hat on I don't care about the underlying schema as long as it is fit for purpose (which is often more than just the application in question) and supports the application (see fit for purpose).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (3/16/2015)

Top down design should stop at the stored procedure logical interface. With my developer hat on I don't care about the underlying schema as long as it is fit for purpose (which is often more than just the application in question) and supports the application (see fit for purpose).

Well said Gaz!

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Gary Varga (3/16/2015)

Top down design should stop at the stored procedure logical interface.

Agreed Gary, most ORM's get mapped directly to the tables.

Design the data properly, develop a view for the Specific Application and use an ORM against the VIEW not the TABLE.

Provide that layer of abstraction from the Data Schema.

Viewing 4 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply