The DBA Routine

• It was an awesome article. One point I would reemphasize is the customer service piece. Things will go much more smoothly if you are willing and able to work smoothly as a team with the developers in particular and all of IT more generally.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• I really appreciated this article. I'm not a DBA per-say, but no one else is doing it... I do some of the items on the list (backups of course!), but don't do all of them. However, I've been wanting to do some of them for a very long time (especially since I attended the PASS Conference over a year ago). In particular, I really want to set up the base line and monitoring of key performance and environment indicators. And I also really want to find and improve any slow running queries. Seeing articles like this is are good prompts to get me moving on these tasks some time in the future. Maybe I will print it out and show it to management.

• Excellent article; the usual how-to articles are good for the day to day stuff... But from a Management perspective, we need things like this summarized as you've done to know what we're doing right, and what we should be doing.

ThankS1

• Thanks for the excellent article. It is the classic easier-said-than-done list, but given that I can see the value of all of the things you listed, I will take it to heart and do my best to live up to it.

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Thats's a nice start on the best practices list, kinda points out that as much as we talk about them we don't exactly have them all in one place!

As far as 3rd party apps, I agree as a DBA we do have a lot of tools to try to change things (plan guides in SQL 2005 are a much appreciated addition to those tools) but there are times when it needs to go back to the developers. No guarantees, but it's worth explaining to them very clearly how to repro the issue, how painful it is, what the proposed fix is, and if possible some technical background on why the fix works. If developers were DBA's we probably wouldnt have the problem to start with. Be gracious and understand that as obvious as the fix seems to be, they have to think about possible impact on other customers, where they are in their build cycle, etc. I've seen the range of responses from horrible to great, just document it well and see what happens.

• Very good article. #10 is a very good idea for me.

I would like to highlight #4 security plus database auditing requirement and GRC (Governance, Risk and Compliance).

I have worked in different companies. Either internal or external auditing will involve DBA.

Being a DBA, we need understand/follow/meet auditing requirement to save the data=business.

SSC is a great place to get these kinds of resources. I visit every day if too busy during the day; I catch up in the evening. I am lucky tonight and did not miss this article.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply